VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gaula92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there again!

I finally got double buffering working in dosbox! So no more tearing here...
Well, it seems DOSBOX starts in full screen at a 720x400@70Hz resolution, wich causes some jerky scroll with my LCD monitor. I can set other fullscreen modes, souch as 640x480, 800x600... and since they are configured at 60HZ in my display driver, scroll is smoth in those modes. But scaling takes CPU cycles in ddraw and opengl outputs, so I loose speed.

Question is: HOW can I FIX 60HZ as the ONE and ONLY refresh rate for that native 720x400 mode? Inside dosbox with a display-doctor kind of tool? from outside with a DirectX refresh rate program? HOW??

I need to keep that fast native resolution, but I just need to edit it's default refresh rate somehow...

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 19, by gaula92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I downloaded my binaries from dosbox homepage. It's teh current version. And my monitor sets a 720x400@70hz mode for dosbox.
Text mode runs in this resolution/refresh and jazz jazckrabbit runs like that too.

Reply 6 of 19, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your monitor might not sync to less than 70 Hz at 720x400. Try disabling "Hide modes that this monitor can't display" (or equivalent such as querying monitor EDID using DDC) if you want to try it.

Reply 7 of 19, by gaula92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the monitor says it's runnnig at 720x400@70hz.

I think this monitor is setting and approximate resolution, not the Dosbox is really running at.

Is it about DDC? how can I disable this feature? Maybe I am totally wrong...

Reply 8 of 19, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your Monitor is connected via VGA analog, the horizontal resolution the monitor shows means very little, because there is no easy way for the monitor to detect it.

My monitor for example always reports 640x400 for any of the 70Hz 400-scanline standard VGA modes (320x200, 640x200, 640x400, 360x400, 720x400...)

So the 720 probably has no meaning.

tearex

Reply 9 of 19, by gaula92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So DOS games ran at 70hz originally???

I thought they were runnnig at standard 60Hz...
Is there any way to force DOSBOX into a 60HZ mode, or to force 60Hz in those 400 scanline modes instead of 70Hz?

Reply 10 of 19, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"DOS games" as such did not run at 70 Hz, it depended on the graphics card.

Not counting non-standard modes, it's as follows:

MDA and Hercules used 70 Hz. CGA and EGA used 60 Hz. VGA used 70Hz for 350 and 400 line modes (including double-scanned 200 Line modes), and 60 Hz for 480 line modes. For SVGA there was no single standard.

You can try playing around with custom modes if your graphics driver offers them. NVIDIA does, I don't know about the others.

tearex

Reply 11 of 19, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found this file trough my old bbs's files, maybe its useful.

its an ascii file, maybe you must rename it to another extension.

its here too:
http://moscoso.org/pub/asme/GRAPH/VGA.LST

Attachments

• Filename
    VGA.rar
    File size
    3.93 KiB
    Downloads
    463 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 19, by ancalimonungol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why can't we make programs set the graphics cards's and monitor's refresh rates according to needs today? And why can't LCD monitors sync down to 50hz (so we could watch PAL videos without skipping frames) It seems like technology is degrading on a steady basis. Shame.

Reply 17 of 19, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

You wouldn't buy it anymore because it costs $5.26 more than the competing product 😉

DOSBox can't set the refresh rate because SDL can't.

Or rather, because SDL 1.2 can't. AFAIK SDL 1.3 adds that possibility, but it never ever seems to get done. 1.3 is becoming the Duke Nukem Forever of libraries...

Of course you can trick DOSBox (or rather SDL 1.2) into using your favourite refresh rates by making sure only the refresh rate you want exists for a given resolution. A simple matter of a couple of Modelines in Linux, not so easy in Windows though.

tearex

Reply 18 of 19, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TeaRex wrote:

Of course you can trick DOSBox (or rather SDL 1.2) into using your favourite refresh rates by making sure only the refresh rate you want exists for a given resolution. A simple matter of a couple of Modelines in Linux, not so easy in Windows though.

You can do it with PowerStrip in Windows.

Reply 19 of 19, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A free solution is RefreshForce. Also, Nvidia's drivers have (or had) a refresh rate override function (has to be enabled in the registry to show up). Radeon drivers have a refresh rate override function too (you can force fullscreen app refresh rates to "same as desktop").