VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by l1qu1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, my first post here and a very well done with all the patches (esp. D3D, OGL nd speed opt)! Now.. I need a little support and will be eternally grateful2the one who helps this n00b..

The problem is, i can't seem to get DOSbox in widescreen. Obv, the aspect ratio i'm looking for is 16:9 (not 2.35:1 😀) nd i've fiddled a little bit with the .conf, added my switches for CD-rom nd HDD in2 the mini Autoexec, both work flawlessly 😏 ! Also using :-

fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1920x1080
windowresolution=1280x720
output=direct3d

in my [sdl] section. In the [dosbox] section i have

machine=svga_s3
memsize=64

Now in the [render] hobnob.. which is possibly the important section, i tried true in aspect originally and when it didn't work, i changed it as follows:-

frameskip=0
aspect=16:9
scaler=hardware3x

which didn't work either.. yet I feel it was a valiant effort 🤣 ! But i don't know where to go now.. since am using Vista64, my Nv options for scaling are greyed out with the latest drivers, and always use my displays built in scaling.. yet the output is already 1920x1080 as defined in the [sdl] hobnob so that prob wouldn't help. Anyway, i think the DOSbox project is coming along very well! And sorry for my ultra long post..

Reply 1 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only have experience with Dosbox 0.72, but here goes. Set your fullresolution to something 4:3 such as "1440x1080" or "original" and let your display stretch it.

Reply 2 of 10, by l1qu1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Works like a charm.. there are very minimal black bars on the edges, its a shame i can't easily resize my screeen with front controls but it looks better.. now for some classic dos gaming 🤣 its gr8 laughing at those old text based adventures...

Reply 4 of 10, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Setting it to original works for an entire full screen stretch(640x480), however, it is blurry and not as clear as running 1920x1080 and having a stretch.
When I run 1920x1080 is looks so good but has the horizontal black area on the left and right.
There has got to be a way to leave it set to 1920x1080 without having those bank areas on the sides. I tried messing with aspect and scaler, but the best I can do is with the black bars. Setting fullresolution to original does what I want at the expense of clerity.
Also, the direct3d output, is that currently supported on 0.72? or do you need those patches for it? Because when I tried it, it shrank everything.
And also SVGA? is that supported or needs a patch as well?

Reply 5 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Direct3D is not supported, so choose any other OUTPUT except for surface or download an unofficial DOSBox build with Direct3D support.

SVGA support is internal to DOSBox, it's not an OUTPUT option and yes SVGA is supported in DOSBox.

The following are incorrect:
aspect=16:9
scaler=hardware3x

Making up your own config options doesn't help with anything.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 10, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't use those options, it is in the first posts config. I was just curious.

Here is what I been using to exclude setting fullresolution to original:
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1920x1080
windowresolution=1280x960
output=ddraw

aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

Reply 7 of 10, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here si the best confinguration I could do on my 1920x1080 LCD TV.

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1280x960
windowresolution=1280x960
output=ddraw

aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

it allows complete fullscreen and minimal blur/stretch effect from the original 640x480.

What I can't figure out still is why 1920x1080 just doesn't work perfect.
Why the black bars on the side.

Reply 8 of 10, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I can't figure out still is why 1920x1080 just doesn't work perfect.
Why the black bars on the side.

Dosbox adds them to keep the aspect ratio of the game correct. Games are 4:3, so the only way to not distort them on a widescreen display is to either crop off the top and bottom of the image (not done by dosbox) or add black bars to the sides (done by dosbox). If you want your games very sharp looking, try output=openglnb. Fullresolution=1440x1080 might also work for your display.

Reply 9 of 10, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried 1440x1080, but it didn't work. sharper as expected. switching aspect ture/false just made side bars or center with black border all around.
can't tell if the openglnb helped, but it seemed to look really good.
What is the openglnb vs opengl?

Still makes no sence to me that I can stretch 640x480 to my TV perfect but cant stretch the 1920x1080, or the 1440x1080.
Normal2x did a good job with 640x480 and 1280x960.

Also i don't mind the stretched look.... I am going for clarity. 640x480 stretched vs 280x960 stretch is a big clarity diffrence. Alot sharper looking.