VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ecksemmess

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I can tell, DOSBox has no provisions for playing emulated PC speaker audio on the host's actual PC speaker (correct me if I'm wrong, of course).

Just curious -- why not? And are there any CVS/unofficial builds or patches that add this functionality? There's nothing quite like an actual PC speaker, so I'd love to find a way to do this if possible, even if it means attempting to harness my meager programming skills to hack the source.

Thoughts?

Reply 5 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well i don't see any point for this, if the sampling rate is set high enough
and there are not too many bugs in the code, it should reproduce the
sound quite nice through the regular sound output.

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ecksemmess wrote:

True enough, so I suppose it makes good sense not to have it as an official feature. I am a bit surprised if no one's patched it in unofficially just for PCs, though.

Well most people like hearing better sound quality. Can't fault them for not wanting to listen to a POS PC speaker.

When I owned a 286 and all I had was a PC speaker I thought RealSound was the most amazing thing out there but it still sucked ass compared to the TV I watched movies on.

With DOSBox emulating the PC speaker you get much better sound quality but obviously if you want the exactly original sound you heard 15 years ago (although even that's not really possible because not all PC speakers are the same and your ears get worse over time), you'll either need to modify the DOSBox code or do what Harekiet suggests.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline