VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jelabarre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in the old days of using DOS, I used to set my display to show 50 lines with the "mode con lines=50" command (or something much like that). I'd like to run Paradox at a 50=line mode, but I cannot find any configuration option in DosBox that lets me do that.

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … s/mode/modecon/

I had to change the emulated video card to the svga_et4000 in dosbox.conf to change to 50 lines. You'll need to download the latest CVS of DOSBox to do this.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The MODE.COM in FreeDOS worked for changing to 50 lines in DOSBox without needing Tseng chipset emulation last I checked... seems odd that those separate versions would need that. Anyway, I made a tiny program that does the job of changing to 80x50 text in VGA with an appropriately reshaped cursor that should work in just about any version of DOSBox; you can get it here.

I don't know about older versions of Paradox, but Borland's 4.5 version for DOS has options to switch between 25 and 50 line VGA modes on its menu, and also some other chipset-specific text modes as well.

Reply 5 of 5, by carguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New DOSBox user here, also using 43 and 50 line text displays. The text cursor disappears sometimes (hidden text cursor). I got the text cursor back by running a tiny program called EGA43.com which is described in this article,
https://books.google.com/books?id=hEaMhncO06E … a43.com&f=false

Googling turned up this site with a copy for download, http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/software/EGA43.COM

I've copied the assembly source that came along with my old DOS software below (the forum software wouldn't let me attach files) -- but I didn't assemble it myself -- the software also came with EGA43.com already assembled. Run it at the dos prompt to see if it fixes your cursor problem. I added a line to run it at the end of the [autoexec] section of the configuration file.

---------------

; EGA43.ASM Sets the IBM EGA screen to 43x80 characters
; from PC Tech Journal April 1985 page 77
; written by Thomas V.Hoffmann, January 1985
; Commented out portions to make it work on PS/2
; (still works on all old machines)

Bdata segment at 40H
org 63H
CRTC dw ?
org 87H
info db ?
Bdata ends