VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pk_boomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm new here, it's good to find an active community of others who love old Dos games. I grew up playing games on my old XT in the late 80s and I still love to play some of the old classics like F19 Stealth Fighter, Red Storm Rising, M1 Tank Platoon (as you can tell I was a Microprose worshipper).

I've been looking for some suggestions on how to configure the various settings for optimal performance of DOS games on D-Fend. I am currently playing M1 Tank Platoon and Wolfenstein 3D on DosBox using a D-Fend front end. Can anybody here who plays these games tell me their D-Fend settings? Or are there any suggestions for other front ends?

Reply 2 of 4, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So true. D-Fend is outdated and doesn't work too well with newer DOSBox versions. Try DBGL or D-Fend Reloaded instead.

As for those games, I have a number of MicroProse sims in my collection, and they (mostly) work fine with DOSBox's default settings. You may want to leave the cycles option at 1500 for some of the oldest, such as "M1 Tank Platoon", but that's it.