VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a 64-bit install of Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop (I need it for 2 of my classes this semester, so scrapping and going 32-bit isn't an option) and I can already build the cvs version fine as 64-bit. However, I remember reading that the dynamic core doesn't work on 64-bit builds.

I've googled, but I can't find any easy instructions for compiling a 32-bit build. I'm still pretty new to linux but I know how to use stuff like apt-get and some of the basic compiling tools. Also, I'm having problems with the audio being delayed and the settings in dosbox.conf don't change anything. The Ubuntu page on the dosbox wiki didn't help.

Reply 2 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't think the Linux builds uses dosbox.conf. I think the filename is .dosboxrc.

Edit: Yup! Amazing what a little search can do:
Re: where is dosbox.conf file in Linux ???

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 11, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine can use both dosbox.conf and .dosboxrc, but I don't know if that's just specific to me (0.72, compiling from source code). And I haven't compiled from cvs in a long time.
I haven't played with .dosboxrc much, so I don't know how dosbox deals with conflicting settings for the two files.

Any chance that you're trying to change the wrong dosbox.conf?
While the .dosboxrc is for the home directory and only there, dosbox.conf works for whatever directory I'm in. Change the directory, and it only sees the dosbox.conf in that directory, if any.

Reply 5 of 11, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

dynrec core should work for 64bit linux, check the parameters of ./configure

what's this then? (fresh cvs in a new folder, just ran ./configure after autogen.sh)

checking for target cpu type... x86-64 bit compatible
checking whether x86 dynamic cpu core will be enabled... no
checking whether recompiling cpu core will be enabled... yes
checking whether fpu emulation will be enabled... yes
checking whether x86 assembly fpu core will be enabled... no

Edit:
My system uses $HOME/.dosbox/dosbox-0.72.conf, I've been changing the right one.

Any ideas for the sound delay issue?

Reply 6 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

recompiling core. So that is fine.

you could check the environment variables for SDL
Check what kind of sound system (kill pulseaudio !) your system uses

for the parameters for dosbox
I would suggest with changing the blocksize and rate

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 11, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where do I check the environmental variables for SDL? I don't see anything doing a "set | less"

How do I tell what sound system I'm using? I have a Toshiba Satellite P105-S9722 which is apparently known for its finicky sound chip in linux (it only works with certain sound systems?).

Those settings have no effect with that problem.

Reply 10 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well there might be some thread on how to configure pulseaudio with ubuntu properly. (ubuntu messed up)
think there is one on the ubuntuforums.com

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!