VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Project Name Change

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 55, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox is a perfectly fine name. Runs DOS in a BOX, works, and is easy to explain. I just do not see the need to change it.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 27 of 55, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shed wrote:
i like DOSBox name […]
Show full quote

i like DOSBox name

but if Qbix or Dosfreak want a new name i't would call it

PC - D.O.S or PC-DOS 2.0

or PC2DOS

😁

I would steer clear of this considering the company that made PC DOS to begin with is still around, it would only invite a lawsuit.

Reply 28 of 55, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its too late to change the name, its been used for years, everyone knows what it is. Everyone would be saying "DOSsuperspecialversion formerly known as dosbox"
But if it did change 😈 maybe something like: DOS4ALL

Reply 29 of 55, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just imagine all the people asking about the difference between DOSBox and DoZBox at this Board. Then remember posts like "You'd better use 0.65". After these two scary thoughts you will not want to change the name any longer.

Reply 30 of 55, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Since QBix mentioned changing the name of DOSBox in the SourceForge Project of the Month interview

Honestly I really like the name Dosbox. Basically I would think you would want to convey three concepts:

1) It's DOS
2) It's for games
3) It's emulation

So DosGameBox? =) Dunno, but still I would say my recommendation would be stick with Dosbox.

-Frob

Reply 31 of 55, by Hexacorde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it is just because it is getting beyond DOS, I like the name PC-Box.

But if a change really is desired (it is?), certainly it would need a long transition period, with stuff like "XYZ-Box, dosbox edition" or something like that.

Reply 32 of 55, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But if a change really is desired (it is?)

When you look at the OP you will see that this whole "discussion" was caused by the interview qbix gave. I don't think it is actually desired and this thread is just for fun 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 33 of 55, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hexacorde wrote:

If it is just because it is getting beyond DOS, I like the name PC-Box.

But if a change really is desired (it is?), certainly it would need a long transition period, with stuff like "XYZ-Box, dosbox edition" or something like that.

Oh yeah, XYZZYBox

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 34 of 55, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nothing happens.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 35 of 55, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compared to the original list Dosfreak put up, DOSBox is probably the best and most memorable of the bunch.

I use a lot of those other emulators, but always thought DOSBox was the best named of them. I think Nicola probably wishes he named "MAME" something different. 😜

Reply 36 of 55, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Okay - I just got a crazy idea! Since DOSBox per default starts up on the Z-drive, how about DOZBox? Or Z-Box?

Just 'Z:'

Klimawandel.

Reply 37 of 55, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think the name should change either. It's well-established and also describes its main use at the moment (I used to talk about making a real DOS box to play old games on, but DOSBox saves me from the hassle).

If it did need to change, then maybe OldBox, x86box (xbox86 🤣), PCBox...

Last edited by HunterZ on 2009-05-14, 05:52. Edited 1 time in total.