VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CosmoJoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to thank the folks on this forum for being so helpful and providing such a valuable resource. I bid on and won an MT-32 on eBay and ended up purchasing an Edirol UA-1EX usb->midi interface. A couple splitters later I am enjoying the wonderful music of Monkey Island 2 via DosBox!

Just a note about the interface; I did have to download 64bit Vista drivers from Edirol to get the interface working, but it sounds great and I have not experienced any lag/delay.

Also wanted to ask a question about the SC-55. I am thinking of eventually picking one up for GM games. I wanted to know however, can you use the SC-55 with MT-32 designed games? I understand the SC-55 cannot process Sysex commands however, doesn't it approximate the sounds/instruments? What would happen if I fired up quest for glory 1 or Wing Commander and set the sound for MT-32/Lapc-I using an SC-55?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 3, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SC-55 only approximates the sounds from the stock MT-32 library by matching the instruments with its own GM equivalents. Not the custom timbres that a lot of games send through SysEx to the MT-32. They're completely customized sounds by the composer and there's no way the SC-55 can guess a custom timbre sound or even realize it exists in the game it's running with. So if you played QFG1 with an SC-55 it would sound horrible (all wrong instruments). However there are custom General MIDI drivers floating around the net somewhere that will work with QFG1 and other SCI0/SCI1.0 games that don't natively support GM.

It won't even play correctly with a game using stock MT-32 instruments unless you set something on the SC-55, I think. I don't know about that because I don't have an SC-55. I only have a CM-500 which doesn't have any controls outside of volume control.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 2 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

not that I have used DOSbox that much, but can't you have GM via windows drivers from your soundcard ? Why get a seperate unit?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 3, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox will send MIDI commands on to Windows. The Windows default is a software synthesizer, though. It's not bad for most purposes, but it pales in comparison to a real Sound Canvas. The SC really does sound excellent. The MT-32 sounds great with software designed for it (and because of changes in the MIDI standard [well, the establishment of a MIDI standard, actually] most later modules sound dreadful when dealing with MIDI intended for the MT-32).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.