VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eirinjas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I'm working on a USB drive install of all my favorite DOS games with Dosbox, but space is tight. I want to get the CD audio for Fantasy General on it, but there isn't going to be enough room with a BIN of the original CD along with everything else that is on there. So, is it possible to use MP3's as CD audio tracks, and if so how? I tried following an example given on the Dosbox wiki page, but I couldn't get it to work. Regular BIN's work fine, but as I said, there isn't enough room on the USB drive.

Thanks! I appreciate your time in reading this.

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try making them ogg files but leave the description as wav or mp3 in the cue file. There is something peculiar about that in DOSBox. Never really bothered to investigate though

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by eirinjas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I can use a cue sheet edited to use OGG. It works with a full ISO of the CD, but it refuses to work with just a Data ISO. I've tried two or three different ISO creating programs and ISOs of just the data are not working. It'll say failure and complain that it's not an ISO or contains errors. However, if I mount just the ISO without the cue sheet file it works fine ..just, no music 😒

Any ideas?

Reply 3 of 8, by eirinjas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind. I figured it out. I was using the DOSBOX wiki page about using cue sheets and it didn't click right away that the first track HAS to be mode1/2048 as depicted in the example. I assumed it was best to leave that as it was when created. My bad, I guess. Thanks for the help!!

Reply 4 of 8, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump the thread, but two questions....

1) How come (according to the wiki at least), ogg files need to be identified in a cuesheet by the type "MP3"? Surely "OGG" would be more appropriate?

2) I was intriguingly surprised recently to discover that you could use 22050Hz-encoded music files and they'd still play dandy under DOSBox, without any side-effects such as tempo distortion. I always thought these sort of files were supposed to be encoded in 44100Hz, like what the CDDA standard follows? Is it a sort of coding trick to fool the virtual system into thinking it's dealing with 44.1Khz stuff?

Cheers.

Reply 5 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

1) never bothered to compile mp3 support into the support libraries, nor bothered to add a tag ogg. Basicly the tag "mp3" indicates a "ripped" audiotrack.

2) the playing interface in DOS doesn't have a sample rate. only a time index. so games don't know if it is 22500 or 44100

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 8, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies for another bump, but I thought I'd mention that while it plays 22050Hz tracks the same as 44100Hz ones, it notably has problems playing tracks at 32000Hz or 24000Hz correctly. Is it because they're considered "abnormal" sample rates?