VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox 0.73 Discussion

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 84 of 207, by tsampikos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For Atlantis i know the solution i wrote in the same thread.
About Jack Orlando, it is not the intro which is freezing but the game at the beginning after you have chosen "new game" from the game menu.
The univbe driver solved the problem in dosbox 0.72, i was the one who found this solution because nobody came up to it.This does not hapen in 0.73 though. The game still keeps freezing.I have tried univbe,vbeplus,sdd53a-d,sdd653, but no success. I tried everything with or without frontend. If anybody finds a solution please share! 😀

Reply 85 of 207, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really appreciate the ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.73.conf

When I was a linux newbie, I didn't like having a dosbox.conf in my clean home (of course later I learned I could use .dosboxrc instead.)

I just like that it behaves like other apps and games, a really seamless experience.

Reply 86 of 207, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The installer for Down in the Dumps crashes with a divide-by-zero error (handled by DOS4GW). It tries to calcuate the performance of the CDROM with a series of random sector reads (INT 2F/AX=1508). When using a disc image, it's faster than the program allows for. Using a real CD device might not have the same problem. I was able to prevent the crash with a disc image through the use of a TSR program that adds a one second delay to the sector read function, resulting in a transfer rate of around 700kb/s according to the installer.

On a side note, with both 0.72 and 0.73, the in-game sound (I used SB16) is strangely garbled under dynamic core and max cycles; fixed cycles of 15000 was fine, though. Normal core and max cycles also worked OK, sound is smooth.

tsampikos wrote:

For Atlantis i know the solution i wrote in the same thread.

Those config changes improve it a bit, but the mouse is still very unresponsive. I posted an effective workaround to the problem in that thread.

Reply 87 of 207, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't seem to find the build games special area of the dosbox readme. Can someone point me to the direction where to find it? Blood is running too slow to be playable for me right now.

thanks

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 88 of 207, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

I can't seem to find the build games special area of the dosbox readme. Can someone point me to the direction where to find it? Blood is running too slow to be playable for me right now.

thanks

Q: My Build game(Duke3D/Blood/Shadow Warrior) has problems. A: First of all, try to find a port of the game. Those will offer a […]
Show full quote

Q: My Build game(Duke3D/Blood/Shadow Warrior) has problems.
A: First of all, try to find a port of the game. Those will offer a
better experience. To fix the graphics problem that occurs in
DOSBox on higher resolutions. Open the configuration file of
DOSBox and search for machine=svga_s3. Change svga_s3 to vesa_nolfb

If you are using a processor lower than the equivalent of an XP 2800+ then you should drop the resolution to 640x480 or less. Don't bash DOSBox for your 7 year old processor.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 89 of 207, by Fender_178

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man Im impressed from what I have looked through the dosbox configuration file. one feature that really caught my eye is being able to choose the type of processor you can choose to emulate which might help with certain games that have the timer bug issues.

Reply 90 of 207, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
temptingthelure wrote:

thanks

Q: My Build game(Duke3D/Blood/Shadow Warrior) has problems. A: First of all, try to find a port of the game. Those will offer a […]
Show full quote

Q: My Build game(Duke3D/Blood/Shadow Warrior) has problems.
A: First of all, try to find a port of the game. Those will offer a
better experience. To fix the graphics problem that occurs in
DOSBox on higher resolutions. Open the configuration file of
DOSBox and search for machine=svga_s3. Change svga_s3 to vesa_nolfb

If you are using a processor lower than the equivalent of an XP 2800+ then you should drop the resolution to 640x480 or less. Don't bash DOSBox for your 7 year old processor.

Thanks for the info! BTW, my processor is core2duo E6600. Is that lower than a XP 2800+?

Reply 91 of 207, by Dais

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great work as usual!

Just checking, this version has improved dro capturing - that's to catch the drums that sometimes got missed in previous versions, correct? And I shouldn't have to modify anything in the config file to get the optimum sound when capturing the dro files or dumping them to WAV from droplay, correct?

Reply 92 of 207, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tsampikos wrote:

About Jack Orlando, it is not the intro which is freezing but the game at the beginning after you have chosen "new game" from the game menu.

Right, when a crimescene is displayed and an old lady is supposed to walk into the screen, right? Like I said, that is fixed using machine=vesa_oldvbe.

Reply 93 of 207, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that's to catch the drums that sometimes got missed in previous versions, correct?

This is one part of the update, yes.

And I shouldn't have to modify anything in the config file to get the optimum sound when capturing the dro files or dumping them to WAV from droplay, correct?

What droplay do you mean?

Reply 95 of 207, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice improvements with Grand Prix 2!

On my E2180 (2Ghz dualcore) I can now play it in SVGA with the detail in the mirrors disabled at an processor load between 50 and 80%, as measured by GP2 itself. Except on Monaco off course, where it runs into some serious slowdowns. On VGA, with full detail, it runs stable at 50% with drops to 10% and spikes to 80% (on Monaco it's a stable 90% with an occasional spike to 125%). Ideally, these values should be stable and close to 100%. Because of the way GP2 is made, if the processor load far too low, the game runs too fast (a 1:30 lap in-game would actually be 1:20 when handclocked) or if the load is too high, the game, indeed, runs too slow. All in all, it's getting really playable now!

On my 1.6GHZ singlecore Ubuntu-laptop, the game now runs as well as it does on my dedicated Pentium 166Mhz, finally rendering it obsolete! That is, VGA with disabled detail in the mirrors, although there is the occasional spike in the sound effects.

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *
* Dedicated DOS-machine obsolete since DOSBox 0.73 *

Reply 97 of 207, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
szekeres2009 wrote:

Alone in the dark works 100% fine, by the way what happened with "libpng13.dll" and "zlib1.dll" from the CVS releases???

My build system is different from the people who make CVS releases. However png functionality is included in DOSBox 0.73

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!