VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox 0.73 Discussion

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 100 of 207, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blood runs the same and even a little better - I compared the average FPS of the intro demo with FRAPS and the average was 31fps on 0.72 and 33fps on 0.73. I was told by someone else that it was running slower as well but I think this may be due to the "auto" core picking normal instead of dynamic?

Reply 101 of 207, by deltaphc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For me Blood runs a little more smoothly, in addition to other cpu-intensive games. It's only subtly smoother, though.

If 'auto' was picking the normal core for something like Blood, I imagine it'd slow down quite dramatically. The dynamic core adds a pretty hefty amount of speed in my experience.

Reply 105 of 207, by Zenitur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using Dosbox since 2006 year. I see only 2 bugs in 0.72: impossible to run MS-DOS console in Windows 3.11, and if 3D acceleration impossible, Dosbox can't start any program (Linux x86_64). Other programs hasn't last bug. For example, Wine and Worms Armageddon game. This game don't use Direct3D, DirectDraw only. And this game works fine without 3D acceleration. Only one message in terminal, "impossible to use OpenGL". Dosbox can't works. I would like to see fixed Dosbox without second bug. Now I will try 0.73 version...
Thank you for brilliantly program! I visited your page every month and wait this update very much. Thank you!!!

Reply 106 of 207, by tsampikos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to report tha Jack Orlando DOES run indeed with DOSBox 0.73 and without any tweaking with additional VESA drivers. This game is just a good exercise to understand how do the new supported graphic modes work. In order to get the game working i had to do the following...

1) I installed the game normaly with the default (in the config file) supervga_s3.After that i changed to vesa_oldvbe, and then the game worked fine!

2) If you edit the config file before the installation and change from the default svga_s3 machine to the oldvbe_vesa mode then the installprocess doesn't begin, because the program can't "find" the vesa support and aborts!

3)Finally if you install the game with the default svga_s3 mode and try to start a new game whithout changing to the oldvbe mode, then the game simply freezes!

Nice work guys! The new supported modes are valuable! And Jack Orlando is a nice game and a good DOSBox 0.73 "exercise" too! 😀

Reply 107 of 207, by woutgg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

First of all, DOSBox is a brilliant piece of software!
However, after upgrading from 0.72 to 0.73, Lands of Lore 1 suddenly won't work anymore.
I run osx 10.5.7 on a macbook and have one of those small (~11mb) versions of LoL.
First I tried to modify the core and output settings of dosbox but to no avail, then I copied the config from 0.72 to 0.73, and the game still fails in the same way.
It seems to run dos4gw or something similar (can't read it), then the soundcard clicks 2 times (normal), then I just get a black screen...whereas in 0.72 it would show the start sreen of the game.

Just wanted to inform you of this problem, please ask if you need more info/testing.

Cheers,
Wout

Reply 108 of 207, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zenitur wrote:

I am using Dosbox since 2006 year. I see only 2 bugs in 0.72: impossible to run MS-DOS console in Windows 3.11, and if 3D acceleration impossible, Dosbox can't start any program (Linux x86_64). Other programs hasn't last bug. For example, Wine and Worms Armageddon game. This game don't use Direct3D, DirectDraw only. And this game works fine without 3D acceleration. Only one message in terminal, "impossible to use OpenGL". Dosbox can't works. I would like to see fixed Dosbox without second bug. Now I will try 0.73 version...
Thank you for brilliantly program! I visited your page every month and wait this update very much. Thank you!!!

Rewrite this paragraph and describe exactly what your problem is. Do not mention Windows games next time either. Also the latest version of DOSBox is v0.73.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 111 of 207, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just installed 0.73.

I did not find a configuration file in the installation, so I copied my slightly modified 0.72 configuration file.

According to a quick processing test I did using a multiple file search program I wrote in QuickBASIC, it is about the same speed. (0.72: 4:46, 0.73: 4:48, native: 0:02).

I did not time WordStar, but it was much snappier in the menus.

There is still a couple of glitches -- that were in 0.72, too -- when a floppy drive specified does not have media in it.

Time will tell, but so far so good.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 113 of 207, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice build, I have an idea how to improve a bit the next version, the installer program could make a *.conf association with notepad with a custom icon like the one I attached, I think it would be nice. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    10.01 KiB
    Downloads
    250 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 115 of 207, by n122vu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great release! Only issue is with the elimination of vga as a choice for machine type. I appreciate having more options for this parameter, but I saw no mention of it in the release notes. Heads-up on this change would have prepared me for having to change all my config files.

Also noticed in the stdout.txt after a crash that memory sizes above 31MB are not recommended?

Again, thanks for a great release. Blood is running much smoother for me than it did unter 0.72.

Reply 117 of 207, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe it should detect both "dosbox.conf" and "doxbos-0.73.conf" as local conf files. That way when someone copies over the automatically generated conf in the user folder, it will work locally too. That's what I tried initially because I assumed that the new name was a new naming scheme with this version.

New version seems to work great. Works with what I've tried it with. Nothing new to report as I wasn't having any previous problems unlike some others here.

Reply 118 of 207, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
szekeres2009 wrote:

Very nice build, I have an idea how to improve a bit the next version, the installer program could make a *.conf association with notepad with a custom icon like the one I attached, I think it would be nice. 😀

DOSBox isn't the only program to use the .conf extension.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 119 of 207, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
However, after upgrading from 0.72 to 0.73, Lands of Lore 1 suddenly won't work anymore. I run osx 10.5.7 on a macbook and have […]
Show full quote

However, after upgrading from 0.72 to 0.73, Lands of Lore 1 suddenly won't work anymore.
I run osx 10.5.7 on a macbook and have one of those small (~11mb) versions of LoL.
First I tried to modify the core and output settings of dosbox but to no avail, then I copied the config from 0.72 to 0.73, and the game still fails in the same way.
It seems to run dos4gw or something similar (can't read it), then the soundcard clicks 2 times (normal), then I just get a black screen...whereas in 0.72 it would show the start sreen of the game.

I've tested my (floppy) version of LoL and it works fine. Try to download latest patch (1.23 i believe) and/or change cputype in dosbox.conf and/or change soundcart type.

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit