VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox 0.73 Discussion

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 207, by barbarian_brother

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried to run Worms United on Dosbox 0.73 and guess what?
It perfectly works!!!! Even the FMV are smooth (with compression artefacts but they were made with artefacts)

On Dosbox 0.72 the video player used by Worms was unable to show more than 1frame per second...

Reply 22 of 207, by borris187

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all
I was able to get the old game Wipeout DOS to run in DOSBOX 7.2. However, it crashed every so often, so I decided to get DOSBOX 7.3 But now I only get an anti piracy warning at the dos prompt! I uninstalled DOSBOX and reinstalled 7.2, but now I get this message no matter which version I use! Is there a way to wipe DOSBOX completely off my computer or can someone tell me what is going on please?

This has happened to me both on windows xp and mac osx

thanks

ian

Reply 25 of 207, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Noticed a couple other things testing Wizardry 7 in Windows 7 (Wiz7 in Win7 hehe):

- when I tried to go full-screen, the colors looked all wrong (happens in Starcraft too, so I think Win7 just sucks at 8-bit color). When I tried to go back to a window, it stayed in something like 640x480x8 (instead of 1920x1200x32) and I eventually had to go into the nVidia control panel to get it back to the proper res because Win7's resolution settings claimed it was 1920x1200x32.

Surface mode seems to thus be an unsafe default for Win7 if DOSBox is going to actually try to use 8-bit color.

- I still hear popping sounds from the PC speaker emulation at the beginning and end of digitized sounds in Win7. I thought some kind of PC speaker volume ramping was added to 0.73?

Reply 26 of 207, by OCTAGRAM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hydr0x wrote:

It's one of those annoying Vista guidelines. I don't want any config/program files in my user directory, I just want data in there. So it's great you're allowing us to just place an ini in the exe directory. One question though: If I do that before starting DOSBox for the first time, would it still create the ini in my user dir or not? Cause I really don't want it to be there, even if it's not used.

First of all, it's not Vista guidelines. It dates back to NT. You can try logging into XP without admin privilleges and observe that you can't write into Program Files.

Contrary to your vision, Vista maid it possible to run flawed programs without admin privilleges. E. g. you can save captures in default DOSBox installation in Vista while you can't do the same in XP.

I think there should be explicit way to configure DOSBox to either standalone (e. g. USB Portable) or standard behaviour.

Reply 29 of 207, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borris187 wrote:

Hi all
I was able to get the old game Wipeout DOS to run in DOSBOX 7.2. However, it crashed every so often, so I decided to get DOSBOX 7.3 But now I only get an anti piracy warning at the dos prompt! I uninstalled DOSBOX and reinstalled 7.2, but now I get this message no matter which version I use! Is there a way to wipe DOSBOX completely off my computer or can someone tell me what is going on please?

Game probably detected an abnormal Operating System or something and intentionally altered it's own game files to prevent play. Try reinstalling the game instead of DOSBox and see if the problem vanishes in DOSBox 0.72.

HunterZ wrote:

- when I tried to go full-screen, the colors looked all wrong (happens in Starcraft too, so I think Win7 just sucks at 8-bit color).

close all instances of Explorer.exe because the Taskbar in Windows 7 is displayed "on top" of other windows fucking the palette up in old 8bit games that use similar methods to the Surface Renderer in DOSBox.

Worms Armageddon which is a Direct Draw game also suffers it but I have a BAT file to work around it.

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
E:"Worms Armageddon""Wormkit.exe"
pause
start explorer.exe

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 31 of 207, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\DOSBox

Last edited by franpa on 2009-05-28, 07:34. Edited 2 times in total.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 32 of 207, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Zalamel wrote:

IBut I can't find the Config file. Which is vitally important to me.

It is in your Start menu.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 33 of 207, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

If you have a dosbox.conf file in the same directory as the EXE file then it'll automatically use that one instead.

Doesn't do that here, I cut paste the conf file into my dosbox folder "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.73" then edited the one at "C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\DOSBox" to use full screen and then I laucnhed dosbox and it started in fullscreen, not using the conf from "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.73".

my website

Reply 35 of 207, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Zalamel wrote:

Thanks for the quick response guys.

But I ended up downloading version 72 and putting that config file in the new one and it worked.

In other words,

1) You failed to notice that when you chose Edit Configuration, it popped up Notepad and opened a file called dosbox-0.73.conf

2) You failed to use the Search feature to locate the file.

3) You failed to try to do a Save As... from Notepad and use the file dialogue to figure out where Notepad found the dosbox-0.73.conf file.

That's a lot of fail...

Reply 36 of 207, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
franpa wrote:

Doesn't do that here, I cut paste the conf file into my dosbox folder "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.73"

Pssstt! You need to rename it from dosbox-0.73.conf to dosbox.conf.

Reply 37 of 207, by Zalamel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:
In other words, […]
Show full quote
Zalamel wrote:

Thanks for the quick response guys.

But I ended up downloading version 72 and putting that config file in the new one and it worked.

In other words,

1) You failed to notice that when you chose Edit Configuration, it popped up Notepad and opened a file called dosbox-0.73.conf

2) You failed to use the Search feature to locate the file.

3) You failed to try to do a Save As... from Notepad and use the file dialogue to figure out where Notepad found the dosbox-0.73.conf file.

That's a lot of fail...

Actually, I read the other 2 comments on where the Config file was Immediately after I put the 0.72 version one in. Since It worked I figured I wouldn't need to edit the other .Config file and didn't bother to.

I didn't check the start menu, as I thought it would contain the same files as the Folder I was already in.

I did use a search but it yielded nothing. (must have used the wrong word)

And no, I did not do a Save As.

Reply 38 of 207, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:
Noticed a couple other things testing Wizardry 7 in Windows 7 (Wiz7 in Win7 hehe): […]
Show full quote

Noticed a couple other things testing Wizardry 7 in Windows 7 (Wiz7 in Win7 hehe):

- when I tried to go full-screen, the colors looked all wrong (happens in Starcraft too, so I think Win7 just sucks at 8-bit color). When I tried to go back to a window, it stayed in something like 640x480x8 (instead of 1920x1200x32) and I eventually had to go into the nVidia control panel to get it back to the proper res because Win7's resolution settings claimed it was 1920x1200x32.

Surface mode seems to thus be an unsafe default for Win7 if DOSBox is going to actually try to use 8-bit color.

- I still hear popping sounds from the PC speaker emulation at the beginning and end of digitized sounds in Win7. I thought some kind of PC speaker volume ramping was added to 0.73?

Set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB and see if that works.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline