VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so I am looking at DOSBox because I just recently purchased AD&D Collectors Editions (9 games) for some nostalgia playing.

I built my current Vista 64 Media PC. It was my first DIY. I am still very new to the computer building/modding world. Please forgive my lack of industry lingo. Hopefully I will be able to communicate clearly for everyone.

Also, please be patient with me as I know I am flying blind and may not know exactly what I should be communicating. I f I am unclear about anything please ask me to clarify or correct any of the ways I am describing what I am doing/trying to say.

All that being said, here is where I would like to start.

I am ready to download DOSBox 0.73. I already read the complete DOSBox wiki "Basic Setup and Installation of DosBox" (including sub-links) and the"DOSBox and Windows Vista" Wiki.

Before downloading the most recent version of DOSBox do I need to do anything first in order to make the download process smooth for my PC.

I only have one HD on my Vista 64 machine. It is more than large enough.

Do I need to set-up any kind of partition to split the HD up?

Should I rename my current HD from "C" to something else (j, k, l, m, n, o p, or whatever)? That way I have "C" available?

I am still a little unclear on the whole "mounting" concept and changing the drive name for DOSBox. from Z to C and how that may affect my current HD, positively or negatively.

I am not exactly sure what is actually happening in that process so I don't know how I should prep my Vista 64 machine before downloading.

Summary:

1.) Thanks for being patient with me

2.) What, if anything, do I need to do to prep my Vista 64 machine for the smoothest install and eventual use of DOSBox, so it does not harm or damage my HD or any files, etc...

Thanks again for everyone being patient with me. I look forward to learning more about this with all of your help and support.

Please don't be offended by my ignorance...I am working on it...If you want my e-mail please PM me, I'm not looking to get spam blasted.

Reply 1 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox is an emulator. All drive letter in DOSBox are virtual.

So if you have a directory on your host C:\ located at c:\DOSGAMES\Duke then
You would mount it in DOSBox using "Mount c c:\DOSGAMES"

Then of course CD to the DUKE directory to play the game.

The first "c" in the mount command can be any drive letter but since alot of DOS games expect to be on "C" then that is what you'll need to use.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-05-28, 14:19. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 19, by OCTAGRAM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
totalmaven wrote:

Should I rename my current HD from "C" to something else (j, k, l, m, n, o p, or whatever)? That way I have "C" available?

I am still a little unclear on the whole "mounting" concept and changing the drive name for DOSBox. from Z to C and how that may affect my current HD, positively or negatively.

2.) What, if anything, do I need to do to prep my Vista 64 machine for the smoothest install and eventual use of DOSBox, so it does not harm or damage my HD or any files, etc...

You shouldn't partition your HDD (unless you really want it). You might probably instead create a dedicated folder anywhere you like. It depends on how you're gonna use DOSBox.

I prefer having a constant DOS environment. Everything related to dos is in the same folder being mounted as C:.

Others prefer to mount C as the directory containing the DOS application.

For everyday use it won't hurt to try out DOSBox frontends (there are lots of).

Reply 3 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for some clarifications. I have a couple more questions now.

I just downloaded DOSBox. Here is the path for my Vista 64

Computer-->Local Disk ( C: )--> Program Files (x86)-->DOSBox-0.73

I created this sub-folder lay-out attached to the above string.

DOSBox-0.73
'--> OLDGAMES
'--> AD&D Collectors

Okay, so here is my next question. It is regarding the "mounting" procedure.

The only DOS game I have right now is the one mentioned in my OP (original post). The game is run off of a CD-ROM only. I saw the tutorial saying that if this is the case I need to "mount" to the "D:" drive.

I understand I am mounting a virtual drive btw, thanks again for the clarifier.

Do I actually need the sub-folder layout referenced above?

I have not yet run the DOSBox to get to the "Z:> drive" screen that require me to mount to the "D:" drive.

I am assuming that I should just run the DOSBox file named...dosbox "application"...those are the (exe) file names in VISTA 64.

Once I do that just follow the instructions for mounting to the "D:" drive since I run the game off the CD-ROM.

I am guessing at that point the game should run.

Is there anything I am missing or might want a heads up on for this step in the process? What will probably be the next step to get ready for?

BTW, thanks again for everyone's patience. I am sure it seems like I am making this harder than it probably is. I just hate messing up and then not knowing how I did, because then I can't describe why I messed things up.

Please don't be offended by my ignorance...I am working on it...If you want my e-mail please PM me, I'm not looking to get spam blasted.

Reply 4 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Creating game folders (OLDGAMES + AD&D Collectors) inside the DOSBox-0.73 is a bad idea. It will just cause you problems when you upgrade to 0.74. And you will probably also run into permission problems. Create those folders in your Document folder instead.

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

OBS: That guide was written for 0.72 and I haven't updated it for 0.73 yet. So the thing about how to edit the config-file is obsolete. You now have an entry in your Start-menu for editing the config-file.
If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks MiniMax,

Step 1) - I created this path...C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\DOSBox stuff/MyGame...just as you instructed.

Step 2) - Game CD-Rom was entered into my CD (D:) Drive and was present.

Step 3) - Started DOSBox successfully

Step 4) - Entered the following...Z:\>mount C C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\DOSBox stuff\MyGames

I received a messages that says....."Directory C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\DOSBox stuff\MyGames doesn't exist.

I tried the same process for mounting to the above string less "MyGames" the same message occurs, less "MyGames" at the end of the path.

BTW, just want to point out I am running Vista 64-Bit, I am not sure if that is supposed to matter or not. I have heard that sometimes people have to use the "Program Files (x86)" folder for certain programs. My DOSBox file path is the following...C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.73

The following was a successful mounting...

Z:\>mount D D:\ -t cdrom
MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom D:\

So, I was able to complete the second part of Step 4 for mounting the "D Drive (CD-ROM) but I was not successful at the first part of Step 4 which was mounting the "C Drive" to the directory path provided.

Okay, not sure what I am not doing correctly. Any ideas, I triple checked spellings (Cases) and spacings. I am guessing the C: Drive mount is for saving game info, the D: Drive mount is for actually running the game software.

Look forward to you next instructions.

BTW, I deleted the paths in Step 1 and completely removed DOSBox from my PC and re-did the entire process from scratch just to be safe. Same results occured.

I also know that because I have not yet "automated" the process in the "config" file I will have to re-mount the D:\ again. Or at least that is the impression I am under.

I did read the "README" document inside the DOSBox folder, along with the other text docs as well.

Hope I listed everything you will need to know about what I am doing to find my mistake or what should be done differently,

Talk to you soon,

Reply 6 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you have to actually follow Max' guide 😀
when you try to mount c you are missing two very important characters...
" and "...
so typing
mount C "C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\DOSBox stuff\MyGames"
should work 😀
(though I wonder, the error message you cited should have been "Directory C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\DOSBox doesn't exist")

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Dominus,

I have seen " " or quotations in other forums as ways to indicate type the following within quotes, not including quotes. I will do that next, hopefully that will fix everything.

I will re post with the results and if everything loads and runs successfully, or if I run into another issue where I am not interpreting things correctly.

Thanks gain for pointing that out,

Reply 8 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Or cheat, and rename "DOSBox stuff" to DOSBox-stuff. No spaces, no problems 😀

Reply 9 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I have had some partial success...yay!!!

I am able to mount the "C" and "D" drives successfully. I was able to install through the D: drive all 9 games on the AD&D Collectors Gold Box.

After installing each of the 9 games new folders were saved and created at the end of the "DOSBox stuff\MyGame\WIZWORX\"POR" or "DKK" or whatever based on the acronym for each game.

I got confused with how to move forward configuring everything so that the "autexec" function will run DOSBox automatically to the game. I am guessing I will need to create individual shortcuts for each f the 9 games if i want to auto run any of them. Still not sure if that is right or just an assumption.

I also do not have sound during the playing of the game, at least for as far as I was able to get, before the issue in the below paragraph.

I also ran into some trouble when trying to play the game. After going through the entire character generation process and accepting the "icon" that would be viewed I was asked to insert a Disk into Drive A.

I don't have a drive A.

Summary

1.) I was asked during the install process to select graphic type, I chose VGA, which seems to work.

2.) I am not sure what if anything I am supposed to be doing in Steps 6 & 7 of the "60 Second Guide"

3.) I am confused about how to set-up the "autoexec" feature, since I am running Vista 64. I was not able to find the dosboix.config file, and so I ahve not even tried to edit the shortcut yet.

4.) Not sure if I should try and get into the DOSBox frontends program or not since this is already a little over my head.

5.) The issue with being asked for a Disk to be inserted into the "A" drive. Also the issue with no sound coming out. (Not sure that is an issue since I can hopefully just play music of my choosing through another player on my PC.) I am guessing this is a game specific question. SO I guess I should get everything else figured out with DOSBox before tackling game specific issues.

Thanks again for being patient with me. This is really fun, but frustrating at the same time. I really appreciate everyone's help with this.

Reply 10 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Re: Drive A

I guess the game expects you to save your generated character on a diskette. Silly assumption, but hopefully you can cheat the game:

In addition to the MOUNT C and mount D commands, create a folder that will be your fake diskette, and do a

MOUNT A "path\to\my\fake\diskette" -t floppy

Viola! An A-drive.

Re: config file: Yeah, I need to update the 60 seconds now that 0.73 is out. Just use the short-cut in the Start-menu to edit the config-file.

Reply 11 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info on creating a "fake diskette" for mounting.

I am guessing I will need to create a "real" pathway for the mounting process. Where shuld I make that path? C:\Users\Jesse\Documents\DOSBox stuff\FakeFloppy\

If so I am guessing I would just make a new folder within DOSBox stuff labeled "FakeFloppy"

Otherwise I am guessing it won't be possible to mount an "A Drive" without an actual path to mount it to.

I will try this and hope that is what you were wanting me to try and do.

BTW, I tried to follow the "2 solutions" to managing the config file in your 60-second guide for those of us with Vista. Here is the path for the location that my machine used to save the DOSBox application------------"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe"........I copy and pasted from the "properties path" provided when right clicking the application at it's source.

After looking at the contents of the DOSBox folder I do not see a "config" file. Maybe it is a different name or extension or I am just not catching something that is probably easy for more experienced computer guys/gals to catch.

Summary

1.) I will create a path attached to the "DOSBox stuff" folder naming it FakeFloppy and then try and mount a virtual "A Drive" to it, so I can hopefully get passed that stopping point in the game.

2.) I still need some help with the "config" file editing, I am attaching (2) print screens to this post so you can see the contents of my and path for the actual DOSBox application, not the "virtual folders" used for mounting.

3.) It's a little tweaky opening a WORD 07 file saved as an older version of WORD if you yourself have WORD 07. At least it is for me. I have to go to it's Download source location and then select "Open With" in order for the document to not show up in code. I am guessing you are probably more familiar with that than I am, just wanted to throw out a warning just in case.

Thanks again for guiding me through this process.

Attachments

• Filename
    DOXBox Print Screen WORD 97-03.doc
    File size
    283 KiB
    Downloads
    238 downloads
    File comment
    I have MS Word 07 on my PC but it gives me the option to save in older formats, I hope this attachment can be opened by you. I saved it in the (.doc) extension, instead of (.docx)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Creating the FakeFloppy path to mount A to worked.

I am still looking for help with the "autoexec" function. I can put up with mounting each and every time for now.

Also, I am guessing that if I run into any other problems running this game I need to create a new Thread in another area that is appropriate for game specific issues.

Is that what you would recommend?

Reply 13 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After tooling around some more I figured out where the config file was. It was not where the "60 Second Guide" listed it to be.

I found it based on the DOSBox Status Window. Which showed the following...CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file C:\Users\Jesse\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-0.73.conf

Based on your "60 Second Guide" should I be manipulating that somehow so that the "Loading" instructions are found in a file located in my "Documents" just like my C and A drive mount paths are?

It seems to launch just fine after I edited the conf. file. On top of the mount paths needed; C, D, and A drives for my game I also added another line after the 3rd mount using D: and then another one after that of install. Now when I "open" DOSBoix it launches the game to the main menu of the game.

Not sure if there is anything else I am missing or should be looking out for in order to avoid future problems but it appears that with everyone's help and assist I have the game running at least.

Thanks you very much.

BTW, do you think I should right up directions for how this worked for Vista 64 or are you fine with doing that? I am guessing since I am new to all this and you are the expert you would rather write the guide.

Anyway, thanks again for the help with getting DOSBox up and running on my Vista 64.

Now I just need to tackle some of my POR issues.

My main issue now is with Saved games mass duplicating only one of the characters generated.

I remember searching POR and finding a thread about that. Hopefully I will get everything handled there and won't have to ask any extra questions.

Thanks again for all your help,

Super grateful, jesse

PS ~ If you do not have Vista, as your Avatar suggests, I can give you all the paths and what not that I had to do if you want. I know my path for the config file was different than your 60 Sec. guide but I found that path n the DOSBox Status Window. I am guessing that will be worth mentioning.

Thanks again,

Reply 14 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You didn't quite read what MiniMax wrote 😀

Re: config file: Yeah, I need to update the 60 seconds now that 0.73 is out. Just use the short-cut in the Start-menu to edit the config-file.

But you figured it out on your own 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I couldn't figure out what Shortcut he was talking about at first. I am just glad DOSBox opens up both windows for me.

I did find it later in the Program List inside the DOSBox Primary folder. I am guessing that is what he means by short-cut. I guess I didn't know that the Program List was also called a "short cut list". Probably would have made it easier for me to find if I already knew that.

Oh well, like I said I am very new to all this. So, I am sure that as I fumble through it I am going to learn a lot from you guys.

Now onto more problems with the actual game I am trying to run.

Thanks for also giving your support 😉

Reply 16 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have everything up and running perfectly now.

If a moderator sees this feel free to kill the Thread and remove it to an archive for space saving if you want.

Reply 17 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If a moderator sees this feel free to kill the Thread and remove it to an archive for space saving if you want.

No need to write that at the "end" of every thread. Threads will normally be left open and accessible, especially so for other users with similar problems to find them with the search function.

Reply 18 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Part of the function of a support board can be considered an ever growing knowledgebase that can help anyone seeking an answer that is willing to use the search function of the board. As Dominus said, other users with similar problems can find the answer by simply by searching.

Edit for typo.

Last edited by collector on 2009-06-03, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 19, by totalmaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem. Some forums I have been in want to remove the "clutter", I always liked the idea of keeping things open if need be.

Just trying to be considerate,

Thanks for letting me know how you guys roll int here. 😎