VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cabinboy46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Athlon 4200x2 - ATI x1950 Pro-based system and was wondering if there are any tips to getting first-person-shooters/action games like System Shock, Quake, Skynet to run smoothly with little or no lag at 640X480 resolution with DOSBox, or is that just not feasible? Other games at 640x480 like Archimedean Dynasty & Terminal Velocity run smooth as butter under DOSBox. Why are FPS always so laggy in hi-res modes? Even Tomb Raider is too laggy to play under DOSBox at SVGA. Is it piossible to 3D accelerate these games with Glide/Direct3D wrappers under DOSBox? Sorry if that'as a dumb question but I'd like to play these games and not deal with so much sluggishness.

C.

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strictly staying SVGA? Then the best solution atm is to buy a better CPU.

Quake has several native ports for several operating systems. wq100.zip is a good start for the software verison of WinQuake. Darkplaces is a technical glitter paradise.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alternately you could try searching for SDL versions of those games. It's basically an add-on for certain games that enable playing them with DirectX /OpenGL support. I found SDL versions of Duke Nuk'em 3D, Doom, and Descent 2. I get higher resolutions (up to 1280x1024) and smooth rendering in Windows XP.