VOGONS

Common searches

Aspect ratio in fullscreen (widescreen)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by mnn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I have widescreen monitor and I would like DOSBox not to strech display output, despite of having 2 black bars on the left and on the right. Is there any chance of having this in current version (0.73)? Thanks!

Reply 6 of 51, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

fullresolution=0x0 (oh, what a hack)

0x0 picks the desktop resolution. You could write it out too (e.g. 1280x1024).

Most of my games work correctly, but there are some that remained unscaled (instead of scaling and stretching, they're just unscaled just like in window)

Which ones? I'd like to try them out myself to see if the problem affects me.

Reply 8 of 51, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mnn wrote:

wd: you don't have to be sarcastic.

You'd have more luck telling water not to be wet.

mnn wrote:

ripa: I doubt you would have any of them, but hell, for example Earth 2140. Demo can be found online.

I'm definitely going to try that. I'd find it very unusual if a game managed that, as (as I said), it's not game-related and if it were, I probably would've noticed it with at least one of the games in my list of 538.

Reply 11 of 51, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
mnn wrote:

wd: but I definitely take it as it was irony/sarcastic.

That is your problem.

The suggestion making sure that doesn't break a thing is very valid point.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 51, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the demo and I found out some curious stuff;

1. If I go to fullscreen before the starting the game, it crashes DOSBox. If I start the game with DOSBox windowed it runs great and I can Alt-Enter to fullscreen anyway.

2. With aspect=true and fullresolution=1440x900 the image doesn't get stretched in anyway, though it doesn't fully utilize the vertical resolution (black bars on the side and top and bottom). I have that with both resolutions.

3. Scalers don't work, unless forced and only in windowed mode. Switching to fullscreen with forced scalers crashes DOSBox.

That's all curious, as Grand Prix II (one of the first games with SuperVGA) runs the way the topic starter wants with aspect=true; with black bars on the side and a true aspect ratio. And the scalers work too.

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *
* Dedicated DOS-machine obsolete since DOSBox 0.73 *

Reply 13 of 51, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mnn wrote:

Kippesoep: Just for info: VESA game with option to select from 2 resolutions (640x480,800x600). The rest of this game issues (like not always working sound) can be found in this forum.

Attached pictures were taken using my cellphone camera. Monitor is a 22" 1680x1050. Changes to dosbox.conf from the default: output=ddraw, aspect=true, fullresolution=0x0, core=dynamic, cycles=25000.

If you are getting different results, then either you've changed something else or you have a problem with your graphics driver.

Attachments

• 800x600.jpg
    Filename
    800x600.jpg
    File size
    130.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Game running in 800x600
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 640x480.jpg
    Filename
    640x480.jpg
    File size
    129.65 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Game running in 640x480
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 51, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
t0mme wrote:

1. If I go to fullscreen before the starting the game, it crashes DOSBox. If I start the game with DOSBox windowed it runs great and I can Alt-Enter to fullscreen anyway.

2. With aspect=true and fullresolution=1440x900 the image doesn't get stretched in anyway, though it doesn't fully utilize the vertical resolution (black bars on the side and top and bottom). I have that with both resolutions.

Hmm... I had no such trouble. Perhaps try different output modes? With output=surface (the default), there will be no stretching at all.

t0mme wrote:

3. Scalers don't work, unless forced and only in windowed mode. Switching to fullscreen with forced scalers crashes DOSBox.

That is by design. The scalers will, by default, only scale up if the source image is small (like 320x200 or 320x240). When you force scalers for 640x480 even normal2x will get it to 1280x960 (and 1600x1200 for 800x600), both of which are larger than your screen and that's causing DOSBox to quit.

My guess is that GP2 is probably running in 640x400, which can safely be doubled while staying within your present resolution.

Reply 15 of 51, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, Kippesoep is right. It can be done. Just don't use surface=opengl or openglnb. Those two settings crash DOSBox when trying to play Earth 2140 in fullscreen.

That is by design. The scalers will, by default, only scale up if the source image is small (like 320x200 or 320x240). When you force scalers for 640x480 even normal2x will get it to 1280x960 (and 1600x1200 for 800x600), both of which are larger than your screen and that's causing DOSBox to quit.

My guess is that GP2 is probably running in 640x400, which can safely be doubled while staying within your present resolution.

You learn something new every day. Though I can run Grand Prix 2 on SVGA with scaler=advmame3x or scaler=normal3x (both forced) without crashing DOSBox. No biggie though, I don't like scalers anyway.

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *

Reply 16 of 51, by mnn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoah, aspect ration is not my issue now. I mount like 3 folders and a game doesn't start complaining: Insufficient extended memory to run program with default config and mounting 3 folders. What is this? I tried even 0.72 (which IMHO is much better than 0.73, not counting annoying splash screen) and it has this bug too. Btw. game runs fine with default 16MB extended memory and not mounting more than 2 folders.

t0mme: I wasn't talking about any crashes. You have crappy system, I don't, so get a new one. I tried the scalers thing, didn't do anything until I forced them to be, so scalers are not useful for me.

Reply 17 of 51, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mnn wrote:

Whoah, aspect ration is not my issue now. I mount like 3 folders and a game doesn't start complaining: Insufficient extended memory to run program with default config and mounting 3 folders. What is this? I tried even 0.72 (which IMHO is much better than 0.73, not counting annoying splash screen) and it has this bug too. Btw. game runs fine with default 16MB extended memory and not mounting more than 2 folders.

Get rid of your configuration file and reset it to the defaults. I always have 5 mounts up and there is no such bug. 0.73 is superior in pretty much every way to 0.72 (with the possible exception of the splash screen, if you really find it that annoying). If you have any substantiated and reproducible bugs, feel free to report them. It's more likely a bug in the actual game (that can't handle more than 2 drives) that isn't present in the demo.

mnn wrote:

t0mme: I wasn't talking about any crashes. You have crappy system, I don't, so get a new one. I tried the scalers thing, didn't do anything until I forced them to be, so scalers are not useful for me.

Don't get nasty. I explained why those scalers didn't do anything for you (basically, they're considered unnecessary for high resolution games and therefore disable themselves... if you think you know better, you can always force them)

Reply 18 of 51, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

t0mme: (...)You have crappy system, I don't, so get a new one. (...)

Whoah, that was uncalled for. You have fun now, hope your superior machine can match mine in its ability to play Earth 2140 😉

*makes mental note about not trying to help mnm in the future

Reply 19 of 51, by mnn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kippesoep: I don't know what happened but I was using the same config file (mounting 3 folders) and all games worked fine (streched in fullscreen however) until I started to mess with this stretching thing. I have already written it: I used default config file (renamed old one) (it worked) , I used default config file + mounting 3 folders (doesn't matter if from autoexec or directly in DOSBox) - guess what - it doesn't work

t0mme: * Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
Intel Pentum Dual-Core - I have real dual core CPU - Core 2 Duo E6550
GeForce 9600GT - as all we know DOSBox doesn't use direct3d so even that SiS is fine
Vista Basic - describes itself (crappy system)