VOGONS

Common searches

I.M. Meen

Topic actions

First post, by Darqlink51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was intrigued by this game and so bought a CD off of Amazon to try it out. It was obvious, as soon as I opened the disk directory, that it would require DOSBox.

I managed to mount the directory easily, as usual, but to get the "MEEN.EXE" open, it said that I needed to install the game first. So, naturally, I opened up the "Installer", and that opened up fine. For this game, I simply needed to configure the sound settings.

This was where my problem arose. I went to install the first of the necessary components, the MIDI drive, and...

Well, I don't have the Creative Labs Sound Blaster card, which is apparently the norm for DOSBox and DOS games (don't go after me for this, I've barely used the thing, so I'm assuming). I don't have any of the other cards either.

So I thought, "Well, maybe there's an emulation available for the Sound Blaster." I went online and checked, and indeed there was: VDMSound. Since this was one of the most readily available and highly rated of the Sound Blaster emulators, I used it.

I opened up the Install again, and this time it automatically registered the Sound Blaster card, and the game, it said, was installed. I then tried to open the game via the MEEN.EXE in DOSBox. It said I needed to install it. Here I was confused, and then I followed the VDMSound readme, which said that once it was installed, I could open the game by right-clicking on the EXE and clicking "Open with VDMS".

This failed. Do I need to actually buy the Sound Blaster card, or something, or am I simply doing it wrong?

If I left anything out, forgive me, I'm relatively new to DOSBox and a n00b at programming and code and whatnot. Please word your response kindly, as well.

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't need a real Creative SB card. DOSBox emulates it. You don't need to use VDMSound with DOSBox. Get rid of VDMSound completely. When you're running DOSBox, any programs inside it have access to an emulated Sound Blaster 16 (unless you explicitly change or disable that).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forget about VDMSound. It's a dead project.

Just use DOSBox. DOSBox emulates a SoundBlaster 16.

Install the game in DOSBox as you would in MS-DOS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You are trying to configure and run the game from the CD. You must install it to the hard disk and run it from there. Mount a C drive, mount your CD as the D drive, and then install from D to C. Then you can configure and run the game from the C drive (keeping the CD mounted as the D drive). This is standard procedure for CD-based DOS games.

Reply 6 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions