VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please forgive me if this is covered somewhere, I read the wiki, the readme and scanned the forums but most of the information I could find seems somewhat out of date.

I just got a TB Network HD recently with the idea that I'd make ISOs of all my DOS games so that I could access them from any of my machines.

When I try to mount one:

imgmount e z:\backups\iso\monkeycd\monkeycd.cue -t iso -fs iso

I get the message: File must be on Host or Local machine or something like that. Is this just something that I wont be able to do or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for your eyes.

Reply 1 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I think you are doing it correct, so it must be a limitation on DOSBox.

Guess you will have to copy it to the local machine before playing.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I changed it to N: and tried mounting again like so:

imgmount e n:\iso\monkeycd\monkeycd.cue -t iso -fs iso

and got the message:

The image must be on a host or local drive.

Its weird it doesn't even check to see if the file exists before outputting that message.

Perhaps its something about the netdrive im using:

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/network-s … verviewItem_tab

There don't seem to be any options that I can set on the drive itself that might help, if I'm using it within windows I can stream from it and use it as a DLNA media server...I can even stream from the USB drive its hosting...

Dunno I'll take any ideas anyone can give me.

Reply 7 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nevermind...Im going to calm down here and keep trouble shooting...will try what wd says.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2009-07-24, 02:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok I think I was making a terrible mistake earlier on trying to mount an image that wasn't contained in a logical drive WITHIN dosbox already. That was foolish and stupid.

I can't seem to even mount a regular HD location from that network drive so i dunno...

Im going to spend some quiet time with myself, thanks for trying to help an idiot, I'll let you know how it goes..

Reply 10 of 23, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mounting drives and images from network shares is working perfectly well, i'm doing it all the time. Maybe it's a permission thing?

What do you mean by:

I get the message: File must be on Host or Local machine or something like that.

? What is the exact message and where do you see it (DOSBox window/console window, other window, a wall above your head written in fiery letters, etc.)?

Reply 11 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that was in the dosbox window but I hadn't mounted an N drive within dosbox to begin with. So then like I said above I felt real stupid.

Now when I'm trying to use the regular "mount" command with either the assigned drive letter or the physical address its telling me that it doesn't exist. My computer can see it fine but for some reason dos box cant...I feel stupid about the first part of my mistake and now I feel like I'm going to be stupid about this new problem as well, but if you know why dosbox can't see a drive that windows can your help would be great.

I have the Network drive mapped to N:

When I type mount d n:\ (or any variation of this) it tells me :

Directory N:\ doesn't exist (In the Dosbox window)

Thanks again everyone.

Reply 12 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

REALLY STRANGE.

You are sure that you are using a colon (:) and not a semi-colon (;) ?

Can you mount your local CD-drive?
Can you mount the current working directory (mount D .)?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I'm able to mount my CD-Rom drive, and I can mount my current working directory.

Dunno why I'm getting "Directory N:\ doesn't exist."

Reply 16 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"You don't need to mount the network drive in dosbox in order to imgmount something that's on it."

This is what I was trying at first where I received the message:

The image must be on a host or local drive.

"The catch is: You can't mount a network share itself, but a subdirectory of it."

My ISOs are located in N:\Iso\

When I try to mount this directory, "mount d n:\iso"

I get the message : "Directory N:\iso doesn't exist."

So trying it both ways fails differently...I really appreciate the help, I can't think of anything else to try myself.

Reply 18 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As in "Mount d \\192.168.2.196\backups\iso"? I'm not at my machine right now but I'll try it when I get home.

I did try already to "mount d \\192.168.2.196and got the same message about the directory not existing.

Also tried "mount d \\backups\iso" and got the same message.

Reply 19 of 23, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you can't mount or imgmount anything on N, maybe your network drive implements access to it as a Windows Explorer extension (so that it appears in Explorer, similar to cameras or phones), but you can't access it outside of Explorer.

Can you access the network drive (as N:) from cmd.exe for example?

You could also get Visual C++ Express edition, compile Dosbox, put a breakpoint in the Run function of Mount or Imgmount in dos_programs.cpp, and see what's up.