VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by baronne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I got hold of some dos games packaged for mac - I wonder if there are any mac folks out there who can shed any light on how these packages are created - when you dig inside the package you can see the elements of DOSbox and the actual game in there. It just makes it nice and neat as you launch the package and the game runs in dosbox lovely jubbly.
anyone any thoughts ideas on this?

cheers
baronne

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

google on boxer.
Which is a dosbox frontend that can create packages as far as I know

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 5, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those are stolen games (called 'abandonware'), bundled together with plain DOSBox application, mostly version 0.72, which is outdated now.

You're talking about things like Betrayal at Krondor for Mac OS X?

Klimawandel.

Reply 4 of 5, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed, these aren't Boxer packages but custom-made OS X applications that bundle both DOSBox and the game into one application. I'm not sure who is producing these, nor whether there is some general tool for making them - but I imagine you could duplicate the application and replace the game inside with another one.

By contrast Boxer packages only contain the game itself, and so they require you to have Boxer on your mac for the packages to launch (though they otherwise behave the same way.)

EDIT: wait, I see that there's an explanation of how the application was generated on the Betrayal at Krondor page IIGS_User linked to.