VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hawks1282

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

First of all, thank you to everyone who's worked on developing this application. It works wonderfully and I love being able to play the classic games so easily.

My question is this . . . When I enter full screen mode on my wide screen monitor, the screen is stretched so that it completely fills the screen from right to left, with black bars on the top and bottom. I would like to get it to either fill the entire screen, or maintain a 4:3 aspect ratio and stretch from top to bottom with black bars on the sides. I've tried changing the machine type, and also adjusting the full screen resolution settings, but haven't had any luck.

When playing with the full screen setting, I've found that many times if I enter certain sizes, when I go into full screen mode, the DOSBox screen rotates itself 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks, Hawks

P.S. The issue that I'm having occurs when I'm in the command prompt of DOSBox and when I run the program I'm trying to use, but the program itself is not a game (legacy circuit design software) so if you don't want to spend the time discussing non-game software, please let me know and I'll try another forum (I definitely understand). I play the games on 4:3 monitors and all is well there 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sure it isn't the monitor or lcd my lcd maintains the aspect ratio on older games like starcraft and what nit and puts black bars on the side wich i don't even notice.

Reply 2 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
hawks1282 wrote:

My question is this . . . When I enter full screen mode on my wide screen monitor, the screen is stretched so that it completely fills the screen from right to left, with black bars on the top and bottom. I would like to get it to either fill the entire screen, or maintain a 4:3 aspect ratio and stretch from top to bottom with black bars on the sides. I've tried changing the machine type, and also adjusting the full screen resolution settings, but haven't had any luck.

Tried aspect=true ?
Tried different output methods?

hawks1282 wrote:

When playing with the full screen setting, I've found that many times if I enter certain sizes, when I go into full screen mode, the DOSBox screen rotates itself 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Is there any way to prevent this?

Don't use those sizes?
Only use what size is really supported by your montor (and your graphics card).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As noted above:

Play around with dosbox.conf
Play around with your video card control panel.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Play around with dosbox.conf

Specifically, set output=opengl (or ddraw, openglnb or overlay), aspect=true, and fullresolution=0x0 or whatever your display's native resolution is.