VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DannyBoy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wasn't sure where to post this at, but i was wondering if there's some way to use game trainers with games you're playing through DOSBox? I was playing Alone in the Dark and tried to use a trainer to help me out, but it didn't work. Is there a certain way you have to go about using it to get it to work on DOSBox or is it just not possible or what? Thanks for any help.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is definitely possible to use some trainers with DOSBox. I suppose the compatibility of any particular trainer will depend on exactly what kind of crazy method the trainer is trying to use to directly edit the memory being used by the game.

I've heard that it's possible to use certain Windows cheat facilities to modify the values of a program running in DOSBox, but I didn't have much success with it myself. (I can't even remember what program I used.)

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lightmaster wrote:

You can always use dosbox debug build.

Assuming you know how to use debuggers. 😜 You wouldn't happen to know of a good example, would you?

Reply 4 of 7, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm, he can try with a proggy called game tools wich is a debugger too, used for train games. there are many of its type, but not so easy to find..

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember an old DOS program called Game Wizard (or maybe GameWizard Plus or something) that let you cheat in any game by searching for changes in RAM until you found the location containing the info you wanted to manipulate. Never tried to track it down and use it in DOSBox.