VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by darqmann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Im fairly new to the software so this may seem like a really purile enquiry, I am attempting to run Deluxe Paint 4 for dos (dp.exe) on the lates Linux build.

dp starts in the command line and shows a list of screen modes to choose from and also gives the option to use the space bar to select a video card. I select standard vesa svga, however when the program tries to drop into a graphics mode it complains that it cant find the standard vesa driver,

my question is does dosbox emulate a graphics card if so do i need drivers for it, also will dosbox do 1024x768x24

Cheers

Chris

Reply 1 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBOX emulates graphic card (CGA/EGA/VGA), recently two low. res. VESA modes were added, but in any case you will not get bigger resolution than VGA (640*480).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
icemann wrote:

Generally 800x600 is the main big one that alot of games use.

*blink* Dude, back away from the drugs. There is almost NOTHING in DOS that uses a resolution above 640x480.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Our support for high resolutions is a bit poor as games never use it as it too slow for a game to keep such a screen updated.

I't just a matter of adding the right svga modes to the table i think.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't think you can add it. I was thinking more into myself.

It's in the tables in the source of dosbox.

So you can't find it in a configfile.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 10, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, majority of games use 640x480, but there are others that probably need different mode. For example, I´ve written here about Ark of Time and more games could have a similar problem. This game reports "vesa not supported" in the latest CVS of DOSBox and also in VirtualPC (I thing that emulated graphic card is in both cases S3 Trio). Unfortunately I don´t know a way how to find out which VESA mode is needed by a particular game so it is uncertain if the problem is caused by missing mode. But I would appreciate if as many VESA modes as possible were added to DOSBox.