Common searches

Hello All

Topic actions

First post, by Ambrose MacAthol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm new to D.B. and I would like to try the old C-64 game Bards Tale. I got the disc images 9 BT 1-3 ) but now I'm not sure how to get them to work. I have read some things about EXE. files but there aren't any with these zip files, just disc images. Do I have to make a CD for them or do I just keep them on my HD. I ask because as I'm sure there are those that are aware the old game had several discs to interchange throughout the game so how do I get these to work seemlessly with windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and honestly it is needed. I remember playing this back in the day and I would really like to give it anohter play through BT1-3.

Cheers! Ambrose

Reply 2 of 12, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what you want to do, I'd suggest using a Commodore 64 emulator, such as this:

http://www.ccs64.com/

or this:

www.viceteam.org

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2009-09-08, 01:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not clear whether he has the pc version, referring to it as "the old c64 game" or the c64 version. It's actually "the old apple ii game," c64 was a port. If I were looking to play Bard's Tale, I'd be looking at grabbing the Amiga, ST or GS versions; the video quality is the best and looks similar for those three, leaving which has the best sound as the only question. Second look, I think the GS colors are better than ST, Amiga looking similar to GS.

http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Rolepla … e_Series,_The//

Video and screenshots:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bards-Tale/100804051839
http://www.bardstaleonline.com/BT1/Downloads.asp

Last edited by ih8registrations on 2009-09-06, 02:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 12, by Ambrose MacAthol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Mr. BM,

Thanks for your reply I'll have a look. I jjust got the impression from the following site that I could use DB.http://www.bardstaleonline.com/BT1/. I'm new to these emulators so maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.
If this is indeed the case I'm sorry for the confusion.

Thanks again,

Cheers! Ambrose

P.S. Hey Batracio, might want to work on tht bedside manner. Take Off EH!

Reply 6 of 12, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ambrose MacAthol wrote:

Thanks for your reply I'll have a look. I jjust got the impression from the following site that I could use DB.http://www.bardstaleonline.com/BT1/. I'm new to these emulators so maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.
If this is indeed the case I'm sorry for the confusion.

You can use DosBox to emulate a DOS environment. You can't use DosBox to emulate a C-64. You need a C-64 emulator for that purpose. I guess that's pretty obvious, though I never had a C-64 myself.

Ambrose MacAthol wrote:

P.S. Hey Batracio, might want to work on tht bedside manner. Take Off EH!

It's not a matter of bedside manner. It's just a matter of common sense. You got the disk images from http://www.bardstaleonline.com site. We don't have the faintest idea what those images are or how they were created, what software you need to dump the images to floppies or what emulator loads them, and so on. However, instead of using the contact/feedback link available on the site that hosts the files, you come here asking for support. VOGONS does not host any abandonware, nor gives any support for abandonware.

And last, but not least, you used the wrong forum to post game/application specific problems.

Reply 7 of 12, by Ambrose MacAthol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

You are right in some respects, the only thing I would ask that you do is go to that site and see why someone might think that one could play BT with use of an emulator. If you do you will see several downloads for what I assume are disc images for different OS's. Also if you check out the emulators you will find it is through DosBox and there are many to choose from. I would have to use the Windows XP one.

Also while checking it out put yourself in the frame of mind that you are a new to emulators and what they do. So what conclusion after all that would you come to.

In closing I would like to appologize for my comment earlier but I thought it was rather rude to make a comment like that to someone who already admitted that I had no clue about these things and I was just looking for some good advice about something alien to me.

Cheers! Ambrose

Reply 8 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They have abandonwarez downloads for several versions of the game, DOS, Amiga, Apple ][, Mac, Amstrad, C-64, etc. For the C-64 version you need to use a c-64 emulator. For the Apple][ you need an Apple ][ emulator. For the Amiga version you need an Amiga emulator and so on.

That aside, I expect this thread to be locked soon as this is a request for help with an illegal download.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 12, by Ambrose MacAthol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Collector,

Thanks for the info but I'm not one for getting something illegal, every game I have, I purchased at my local EB Games so I don't condone people getting something in that manner. As stated I am new to these emulators so if I have to go out and buy Bards Tale Saga that's what I'll do, but I'll ask a few of my old friends if they still have their old games.

Just I was feeling a tag nostalgic so I tought I would look into this,

Thanks again to all who contacted me and if I ruffled any feathers I'm sincerely sorry.

Cheers! Ambrose

P.S. And to anyone who do pirate their games I hope your computer blows up. It is this type of behavior that causes companies to create irritating potection software like Secrom. You can't blame them though, it's their way of protecting their products.

Reply 10 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DSOBox emulates a PC with DOS installed.

So for best results, get games in a format that is as close as possible as to what they originally where. That means real diskettes or real CD-ROM's (assuming that the PC you want to run DOSBox on has a diskette or CD-ROM drive).

If you can't get the original medium, get diskette or CD-images.

Once you have that read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ambrose MacAthol wrote:

As stated I am new to these emulators so if I have to go out and buy Bards Tale Saga that's what I'll do, but I'll ask a few of my old friends if they still have their old games.

Y'know, the PC version of the new Bard' Tales game that came out just a few years ago (i hear it's quite amusing) had all three of the old Bard's Tale games included, and I assume they're all neatly packaged to run on a modern PC. You might even stil be able to find it at your local retailers.

You may also enjoy Devil Whiskey. (Look it up.)

Also, please never again make a thread anywhere titled "Hello All", kthx.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2009-09-08, 17:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Y'know, the PC version of the new Bard' Tales game that came out just a few years ago (i hear it's quite amusing) had all three of the old Bard's Tale games included, and I assume they're all neatly packaged to run on a modern PC. You might even stil be able to find it at your local retailers.

The old games aren't included on my copy of The Bard's Tale 🙁

Just installed it again to make sure, but nope, don't see it anywhere. I think it was a US only thing.