VOGONS

Common searches

Floppy

Topic actions

First post, by Racerocxk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying a program that needs access to the Floppy Drive (A:\). When I mount the A drive and start dosbox, dosbox is looking for a disk in the floppy drive. Is there a way to make this drive available without starting with a disk in the drive? Dosbox version .73

Reply 3 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Or copy the files from the diskette to a folder, and mount the folder as -t floppy.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 11, by hwundi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hallo, i think i have the same probleme but maybe you misunderstand it?

I use DosBox 0.73 at my Win XP System. To install older Dos Games i buy a USB Floppy. I installed it and now in Win its Drive A: So i mount it in DosBox as A A:\ -t floppy
But now i have a problem. If i start dosbox i get an error message. It says (in german) "There is no Disk in drive A:!" I can insert a disk and type dir and all works fine. But if ever i start dosbox i get this error message!
Is there any way to fix this? Is there a way to tell dosbox not trying do load the disk at start?

Maybe someone can help!
Thanks a lot!
Heiko

PS: If i do misunderstand the question please blame it at my bad english and excuse it 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by hwundi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not any specifik game. The error came if i start DosBox. If i dismount the floppy, the error passes away. If i mount the floppy and type "ignore" after the error all works fine. The only thing is this stupid error cause the floppy trys ever to load a disk. So i think there must be a command in DosBox thats says if there is a Floppy try to load a disk at start. And i hope someone knows how to disable this command 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hwundi wrote:
Hallo, i think i have the same probleme but maybe you misunderstand it? […]
Show full quote

Hallo, i think i have the same probleme but maybe you misunderstand it?

I use DosBox 0.73 at my Win XP System. To install older Dos Games i buy a USB Floppy. I installed it and now in Win its Drive A: So i mount it in DosBox as A A:\ -t floppy
But now i have a problem. If i start dosbox i get an error message. It says (in german) "There is no Disk in drive A:!" I can insert a disk and type dir and all works fine. But if ever i start dosbox i get this error message!
Is there any way to fix this? Is there a way to tell dosbox not trying do load the disk at start?

Maybe someone can help!
Thanks a lot!
Heiko

PS: If i do misunderstand the question please blame it at my bad english and excuse it 😀

If you type "Mount a a:" into DOSBox then it will try to mount the host floppy drive every time you start DOSBox.

Do you have a floppy drive in the USB floppy drive every time you start DOSBox or are you saying that you receive the error even if a floppy is in the floppy drive?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try removing the "mount A A:\ -t floppy" command from your dosbox .conf file. Then, when you need to actually use a floppy, type in the "mount A A:\ -t floppy" command manually at the DOSBox DOS prompt.

Also: When you are done using the floppy, it is a good idea to type "mount -u A" to make DOSBox dismount it before removing it from the drive.

Reply 10 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I understood. You want to mount the drive without having a disk in it. DOSBox doesn't let you do this because it tries to read from the absent disk.

I suggested Virtual Floppy Drive because this will let you set up a drive to mount without worrying about an actually disk. You can then write to a blank image or swap it with another image.

Reply 11 of 11, by hwundi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello and thanks for the answers. I think my problem is solved. I thought that i can mount the floppy in the autoexec like my cdrom. But if ever i start dosbox with the usb floppy installed and the mount command in the autoexec, i get this message. So its better to manuel mount in the running DosBox. Or maybe ignore the error message 😀
Thanks all fpr helping!
Heiko