VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Renegen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I have a 2 GHZ Core 2 Duo laptop on Win XP and I've been using DosBox for several years on many games. But all of a sudden over the past month or so, everything is incredibly slow. I use DFend so the configs are saved, nothing is changed there but games are like slideshows now. Loading screens are longer, and fast paced games like Descent or Abuse are unplayable! And before they were fine.

I think it has to do with the CPU, it is all of a sudden really slow when using emulators. Do you know a solution? Help.

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the Windows port of Abuse is old and unmaintained and didn't work on my Windows XP system due to the default resolution not being compatible to my LCD and there was no way to fix this...

Reasons for slow downs could be all the software you have installed and running at the same time as dosbox...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Several things pop to mind right away:

- Most obviously, something is wrong with your configs. Yes, I know you have a front end and "it's taking care of it" for you, but the first thing to do is not trust it, and just run Dosbox manually on one of the games (even with default options, should be fine)
- You're using a new version of Dosbox, or a different version than before
- Your machine is otherwise slowed down (ctrl-alt-delete, task manager, look at processes tab, see if memory and CPU are within reason)
- Your machine is throttling the CPU due to temperature or some other factor (thinks it is on battery? change your power savings options?)
- You updated a driver and SDL is getting poor response on whatever surface type you are using (try "overlay" or at least something different than what your current configs say)