Comments on the screenshots of the cvs

Topic actions

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Qbix, do you have any idea what Pandora's Box you have opened? *heh*

Can we presume by the screenshots that you are nearing another public release?

Reply 1 of 63, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Actually When ripja started making his cvs buils I would have expected the hype and the hordes of people.

Well If it gets out of hand feel free to remove this thread.

As you know the current cvs hasn't entered the debug testing cycle yet so the release isn't that near.

It's more a sign to show we are still alive and that we are still actively working on dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 63, by CannibalBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoaa... talk about nostalgia! I haven't played those games in at least 10 years!!!!!! w00t! Can't wait to persuade massive amounts of civs and make them follow me around in Synd Plus (yeah, I have the original CD, oh yeah).... mmmmm fire off some hedgehogs, how about the sweet sound of grinding metal in OMF:2097? Yeah also can't wait to play the fun, instructionless Settlers!!

Worship my puter ere is smites you with its ravenous speed

Reply 4 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix Actually When ripja started making his cvs buils I would have expected the hype and the hordes of people.

You'll see them. Just give them time. Just remember the motto "Wait, are you using the CVS Build? Yes? Well, slog off then."

As you know the current cvs hasn't entered the debug testing cycle yet so the release isn't that near.

Ok. I just figured that maybe an .059 release might be a good idea. The 0584 Beta ran both "Quest for Glory" III & IV properly and those have both been plagued by speed problems since fast 486-PC's hit the market.

It's more a sign to show we are still alive and that we are still actively working on dosbox.

Understood. BTW, am I imagining things or are two of those screenshots SVGA? (Settlers/SimCity2000)

I remember some discussion about VESA code, but I figured that was a long time from now.

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR Does this by chance means future versions of DosBox will at least handle protected mode games?

It means it will handle some protected-mode games. Don't expect a 90% success rate.

Reply 5 of 63, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think It would be an good idea to start updating the documenation of dosbox.

Please wait for 0.585 it should be around. That version will be more like a release. It includes many changes. )
0.59 is an unlikely option. We've got our mind set on a 0.60 release which features some basic protected mode support.
Releasing 0.59 would mean that we had to disable the support.

(i mean adding it is quite mayor so it should at least start at 0.60)

SVGA... Yeah. it's been supported quite a while. It's actually quite related to protected mode so we added basic support for it. (the settlers screenshot is the SVGA version of setllers. )

the SVGA code is at least present in 0.584, but i think earlier even.

Reply 6 of 63, by hasv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi there,

could someone please tell me in wich language are you programming? I'd like to have an insight of the work beeing done. I could be interested in helping if i find it "bearable" in conjunction with my work around robots for my degree.

Thx

Reply 7 of 63, by MadEgg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jiri wrote:

Great job. This game was one of the biggest troublemakers because of memory needs. Worked in pure DOS only and usually after much tweaking. I have read tons of complains in the various forums.

Hmm.. The Flight of the Amazon Queen would run here in Windows 98 without any optimizing, tweaking and the like.

If I tried to run it in pure DOS mode, it would require a lot of tweaking to free up enough conventional memory though. Anyway, great that I can run it on Linux as well now.

I tried the latest CVS version but the main problem with some games is slowness(Aladdin, Simcity 2000, Tomb Raider I, Duke3D).

And in SimFarm I can't get the sound effects to work, although music does work fine.

Still, great to see them at least running, and I hope that the performance will be somewhat better in the the future 😁

Eyyyy

Reply 9 of 63, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MadEgg wrote:

Hmm.. The Flight of the Amazon Queen would run here in Windows 98 without any optimizing, tweaking and the like.

Strange, I don´t have Win98 now but I´ve had this OS before and I remember I couldn´t run this game straight in it, I always got "not enough conventional memory notice" regardless of content my config and autoexec. I searched the net back then and found that many users (and also some reviewers http://fourfatchicks.com/Reviews/FOTAQ/FOTAQ.shtml ) complain about similar and other problems with Queen. It seems that it still persist for some gamers, recently I´ve read this thread on Gameboomers http://www.gameboomers.com/ubboard/ultimatebb … =5;t=004427;p=1 . Maybe it is possible to run Queen in Win98 (but rather in Win98 DOS mode), but for somebody surely not without tweaking and DOSBox seems to me like a good solution.

Reply 10 of 63, by Whitewashed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I got OMF working on my DOSBox as well. It's really quite slow though, must set all graphics settings to lowest to get it to play smoothly. Yesterday I tried it on my old 120Mhz 486DX4, whoa, it was smooth with all the goodies turned on! It's pretty sad that a 2600MHz CPU can't equal a 120Mhz 486 🙁

P4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB
ASUS P4P800 (I865)
2x512Mb PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb
SB Audigy2 Retail
160Gb SATA 7200RPM, NTFS, FAT32
LG DVD 16/48X
Windows 2000 SP4

Reply 11 of 63, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

OMF plays fine on a 2,6 Ghz machine

Just configure dosbox right!

for example set cpucycles to 10000
and frameskipt to 1

let's see how smooth omf runs with these settings

Reply 12 of 63, by Whitewashed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where do you set the frameskip in the config file?
It's still not smooth. I press ctrl-F12 until the sound gets messed up, I tried ctrl-F8 too but it didn't seem to speed it up at all

P4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB
ASUS P4P800 (I865)
2x512Mb PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb
SB Audigy2 Retail
LG DVD 16/48X
Windows 2000 SP4

Reply 13 of 63, by Whitewashed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried Syndicate today as well. Works great! I even get sound effects, when I played the game as new almost 10 years ago I only got music, I guess it couldn't detect my soundcard correctly then. The game does crash at times but that's extremely rare. It's very well playable and fast enough.

P4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB
ASUS P4P800 (I865)
2x512Mb PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb
SB Audigy2 Retail
LG DVD 16/48X
Windows 2000 SP4

Reply 14 of 63, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Syndicate runs pretty much perfect for me also (after increasing the emulation about 3 times with that keyboard combo). Its absolutely fantastic to be able to play it again after so many years. I also get occassional crashes etc, but those are usually quite rare.

Reply 15 of 63, by Whitewashed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I really got excited about Syndicate and downloaded Syndicate Wars as well. I got it working with VDMSound. It works really bad though, sometimes it starts, sometimes not, sometimes with sound, sometimes without and sometimes the menus are messed up. It also always messes up my screen in windows compelety so I have to reboot after each try. Now when it actually is working it's waaay too fast, I've tried setting the slowdown effects to max in the VDMS panel but they don't seem to have any effect on my 2.6GHz P4. Sure I can play the game, even completed a few missions but it's not all that enjoyable when either the attackers are dead before I can react or my agents are dead in a second.

I tried the game in DOSBox also, there on the other hand it's extremely slow and only the game menus work, when you try to load a mission it crashes. I suppose it would be better to play in slow motion though than ultra fast... also when I run it in DOSBox it's only DOSBox that crashes, it doesn't mess up Windows.

Anyone had any better success with this game?

P4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB
ASUS P4P800 (I865)
2x512Mb PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb
SB Audigy2 Retail
LG DVD 16/48X
Windows 2000 SP4

Reply 16 of 63, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by MadEgg I tried the latest CVS version but the main problem with some games is slowness(Aladdin, Simcity 2000, Tomb Raider I, Duke3D).

Phbbt. It's amazing that they work in Emulation at all. Duke3D runs terrible in "Virtual PC" and that uses virtualizations to speed things up.

Originally posted by Qbix OMF plays fine on a 2,6 Ghz machine Just configure dosbox right! for example set cpucycles to 10000 […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Qbix OMF plays fine on a 2,6 Ghz machine

Just configure dosbox right!

for example set cpucycles to 10000
and frameskipt to 1

I have to wonder, does anyone actually read documentation anymore?

Reply 17 of 63, by samsoule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey 😀
a4 networks works, slow (even trying to change frameskip and cpucycles)
would Changing the amount of memsize improve speed ?

anyway, if you'd like to make it work try to change the settings (look above 😀 especially by increasing the cpucycles and it would work fine, because the introduction scene seems to hang if you don't change it.
I cant attach a screenshot because the snap shot function doesn't work but i'll try to post one later.

-NICE WORK GUYS-

Last edited by samsoule on 2003-08-26, 06:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 63, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only problem with increasing the cpu cycles is with the sound stuttering / pauses that occur when that is used. If increasing thc cycles didn`t cause that problem then I`d use it a hell of alot more than I currently do.

Reply 19 of 63, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
icemann wrote:

The only problem with increasing the cpu cycles is with the sound stuttering / pauses that occur when that is used. If increasing thc cycles didn`t cause that problem then I`d use it a hell of alot more than I currently do.

increase the cycles before you start the game
and don't increase them too many (as in your pc gets a 100 % payload) if this happends sound starts stuttering.