VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by corvey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying for hours to get this ne2000 packet driver to work for DOSBOX.. This same packet driver did not work for VMWARE either and did the same thing. I had to use amd's PCNTPK packet driver for it to work on my VMWARE machine, but DOSBOX it won't work with PCNTPK.

Any suggestions?

Can the creator of the packet driver add-on to DOSBOX please make it so we can use a different packet driver, such as the PCNTPK packet driver?

Reply 1 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using HAL9000's build of DOSBox? If not you should because the official ver of DOSBox don't emulate a NIC.

http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 22, by corvey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I'm using the mega build MB5. Same results as the previous 72 patched ne2000 version...

Wish they would just change the ne2000 packet driver to AMD's packet driver version... It's proven to work...

Reply 3 of 22, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A line like this should show up in the Status Window:

Using Network interface:
rpcap://\Device\NPF_{AC482C0B-4F3B-4603-82B0-7634E8745685}
(Network adapter 'VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
on local host)

If not, maybe you didn't install (Win)pcap.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 22, by corvey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Brillant! That worked!!! Win PCAP is what I was missing! THANK YOU SO MUCH Hal9000!!! This dosbox program is beyond epic proportions!

BTW version 73 runs my application much MUCH faster than version 72 did for my application, excellent job!

Reply 5 of 22, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may be a silly question, but if official DOSBOX doesn't emulate a network card then how does the IPX emulation work? How do networked games see a network card to talk to when no such card is emulated? Is the IPX protocol emulated at some higher level or something?

Reply 7 of 22, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excuse my noobishness please, but so does hal9000's dosbox allow true internet on dosbox? And if it does, can win98 internet work on it?

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 12 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

I can see it does support internet, but it only mentions win95. So I assume there's no support for win98, right?

There's no support at all for Windows 9x in DOSBox. Windows 95 will WORK to a degree but it's not SUPPORTED.

As for Windows 98 you may have some luck but in my experience it'll crash very often if you can even get it to install. (Haven't tried 0.73 and above for DOSBox recently)

Use Windows 9x in other VM's, not in DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 22, by cedisme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I too am having problems getting the NE2000 configured for DosBox getting the same FF:FF:FF:FF... as the original post. I have installed WinPCap 4.1 and verified it. Maybe the problem is my Win7 x64 host. Any suggestions?

Reply 15 of 22, by cedisme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file c:\users\e2z\documents\win31\dosbox_mb5\configs\wfw311.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Using Network interface:
rpcap://\Device\NPF_{6A750FCC-AC79-4A48-9357-97B9DBB6DD28}
(Network adapter 'NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter Driver' on local host)

Reply 18 of 22, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

win98 works fine...since you're also asking about glide in the other thread...my build has both ne2000 and glide 😉

Awesome man, both ne2000 and glide support on win98, for old windows games, your dosbox build is light years ahead of commercial emulators. 😁 *thumbs up*