VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by iwanttobelieve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I have tried to search this board, Google, etc. to find the answer to this problem but to no avail, so I create a new one instead, hope that it won't break any rules around here.

Anyway, here's the problem when I launch dosbox:

MIXER: Can't open audio: No available audio device, running in nosound mode.

I'm using Windows XP SP2 with the audio driver: Realtek HD audio and audio is running just fine in Windows.

Note: there's a lot of ppl out there who has this problem I think but most of them are using Linux or other OSes. No solution is yet provided for Windows. Btw, when I first launched Dosbox, it fired an error about SDL_AUDIODRIVER and then quit. I added an environment variable named SDL_AUDIODRIVER but not sure what should be the value? Currently I'm typing alsa in it, don't even know what alsa means...

Thanks for any help, really appreciated.

Reply 1 of 3, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ALSA=Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
So my suspicion is that might not work out so well in windows.
From looking on the internet since I don't run Windows, it looks like dsound, waveout, and (possibly) windib might be options to try for SDL_AUDIODRIVER.

Reply 2 of 3, by iwanttobelieve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Umm..well...🤣....ahh...IT WORKS!!! Now I am wondering why this problem has never been solved before...or is it just me?

Thank you a lot dougdahl! Should have posted here instead of trying to Google T.T, wasted 2 days of mine...

Reply 3 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Umm..well...Laughing Out Loud....ahh...IT WORKS!!! Now I am wondering why this problem has never been solved before...or is it just me?

It's probably a weird one in a million bug. With another project we only had to touch that SDL_AUDIODRIVER for some audio card on Windows 9x and never since. A driver upgrade (or sometimes even downgrade) could have been the solution for you as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper