VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lockheed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use latest DosBOX and Ubuntu 9.04 64bit with ALSA.
When I run dosbox I get:

DOSBox version 0.73
Copyright 2002-2009 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file /home/juha/.dosbox/dosbox-0.73.conf
MIXER:Can't open audio: No available audio device , running in nosound mode.
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MIDI:Opened device:oss

I tried all kinds of modifications to dosbox.conf but none made any difference.

Reply 1 of 6, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really don't know so much about DOSBox, but try to update to Ubuntu 9.10. It's got loads of new stuff, although some screensavers were removed.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 4 of 6, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if this is the case, but I was wondering if you might have a 32bit version of dosbox, and possibly it is looking for the 32bit version of alsa, or sdl, or one of their sub-packages? If you got dosbox by apt-get, I should think that it should have taken care of the dependencies.

Also it might not hurt to check the volume control options to see if something has been disabled or muted. And I would definitely use the preference to ensure that all the various channels are displayed. (Sorry for being so vague about the names of what to check on, but I'm not running Ubuntu at this moment, and I'm trying to remember what it's called.)
Or alternately you could try running alsamixer from the command line, but that is a little more cryptic.

Reply 6 of 6, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In Ubuntu 9.10 you really should:

apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

This solved many of my sound issues in Ubuntu.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube