VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How have people's experience been with this? Does steam tweak dosbox configs for each individual games? Can users make changes or are you forced to whatever steam gives you?

Browsing through steam's catalog, I get the feeling that a good number of games are running dosbox 😀

Reply 1 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are. You'll need to download the latest ver of DOSBox and replace the old version of STEAM uses.

You'll also need to tweak the dosbox.conf to fit your needs.

GOG does better at optimizing their games with DOSBox but you'll always need to tweak.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Sierra Collections on Steam still use the same stupid launcher that the VU collections used with the dosbox.conf hard coded into it. The DOSBox 0.63 dosbox.conf does not work with 0.73, so it does not work to simply replace the included 0.63 with 0.73. Someone on the Steam forums found a way around it, but it is still easier to just apply my patch and patch the games themselves at the same time.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 17, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies. I ended up purchasing a few titles last night and found exactly that - the Sierra collections have a launcher with dosbox nowhere to be found. boo.

collector, could you tell me more about your patch? I'd love to use my own version of dosbox if possible. I suppose I could just copy the data files myself into my own dosbox environment. They all seem to be there.

I did find with game supported by scummvm, that they don't work because steam took out resource.000 files. Not a big deal. The default settings used by steam were pretty bad.

Reply 7 of 17, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not all DOSBox games on Steam are released like this. It seems to depend on the publisher that supplies them. I got a few DOS games when I purchased the "LucasArts Premier Pack" during a special sale, and they are actually organised very well:

Within the usual "Steam\steamapps\common\<game>" subdirectoy for each game, there lies the dosbox.conf file that you can edit at will. There are two additional subfolders: Game with the installed game data that is to be mounted, and a separate DosBox folder that contains a mint DOSBox installation, which is easy to replace with any updated version.

Reply 8 of 17, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
static- wrote:

I did find with game supported by scummvm, that they don't work because steam took out resource.000 files. Not a big deal. The default settings used by steam were pretty bad.

LucasArts encoded the "000" type files for each game into their respective Windows executable. Using a hex-editor, it is possible to "extract" the original files out of them so that ScummVM can run the titles (though with Steam's Loom you'll likely get no speech/music since SVM doesn't acknowledge the new CDDA.SOU file so far) - I did write up about the necessary offsets to go to and which "blocks" to save into a new file but have yet to write a proper guide for it and upload it somewhere...... one of these days I'll get round to it. 😉

Reply 10 of 17, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just copied the game directory of my Dosbox enables games from Steam to my own Dosbox directory with my own dosbox.conf and deleted the game from Steam afterwards.

And I also used collector's patches on my Sierra compilation dvd's and afterwards copied everything to my own Dosbox too (as collector's patches are a bit strict. Very good patches, but a little strict).

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *
* Dedicated DOS-machine obsolete since DOSBox 0.73 *

Reply 11 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you mean strict? I warn to not install in the %ProgramFiles% because of the known problems that the restrictive permissions on Vista or Win7 of this system folder causes with these legacy games, but I don't prevent the user from installing there, if they wish. It is true that the first versions of the patches didn't allow the user to use anything other than the default VU install directory (I was just learning to use NSIS, then), but that has not been the case for the past few years. I have become much more proficient at NSIS scripting since. The only thing that I don't give an option for is the location of DOSBox, but this is so the shortcuts don't get broken when the user upgrades to a new version of DOSBox and I don't have to redo all of my patches and installers whenever a new version comes out.

If the patch you are using does not allow you options for installing, you have very outdated version of the patches. Always get them from my site to be sure that you have the latest.

Reply 12 of 17, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My bad, then I think I had an old version. I used them roughly a year ago and I had to use the default VU directories indeed. But I got it working the way I wanted and I'm happy for everybody else that your NSIS skills increased.
Now, your patches are the most important download for everyone who bought those VU collection which were actually pretty badly organised.

* Intel Pentium Dual-Core e2180 @ 2Ghz | 3GB Ram | Asus Geforce 9600GT 512MB | Vista Basic *
* AMD Sempron XP 2800+ @ 1,6Ghz | 1GB Ram | SiS M760GX | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8 *

Reply 13 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
t0mme wrote:

Now, your patches are the most important download for everyone who bought those VU collection which were actually pretty badly organised.

They were so badly prepared and mixed up that I suspect that the origin of the collections was from some abandonware group that got caught by VU and VU hired them to finish them. If they had just started with the '97 KQ collection, replaced the installer with a new one to set them up to use DOSBox by someone that knows the sierra games and DOSBox, they would have ended up with a far better release. It took them months to produce a crap release. I could do a near ideal package in a couple of days. they all had many of the same problems, The most badly botched was the KQ collection. If you wish to see a list of all that was wrong with the KQ collection, see this thread.

Reply 14 of 17, by t0mme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Shocking...

Let's hope that gog.com contacts you when they release the Sierra adventures (through their Activision deal).

Reply 16 of 17, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
t0mme wrote:

Let's hope that gog.com contacts you when they release the Sierra adventures (through their Activision deal).

I thought the Sierra assets were still fully owned by VU, so how does Activision figure into that picture? Obviously it does somehow, as they already released Phantasmagoria and Space Quest 4-6. Is Activision part of VU as well?

Space Quest 4-6 from GOG.com use DOSBox by the way, not ScummVM.

Reply 17 of 17, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anamon wrote:

I thought the Sierra assets were still fully owned by VU, so how does Activision figure into that picture? Obviously it does somehow, as they already released Phantasmagoria and Space Quest 4-6. Is Activision part of VU as well?

Activision and VU merged in 2007 and became Activision Blizzard, and is now the largest game publisher in the world.