VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eurobob12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been searching the forums for a while and I am stumped. I have ubuntu 9.0.4 on a machine and i need to run and old DOS based program for point of sale. The pos needs to see and lpt1 port and thats why i went with the mega build. This is the odd part of the set up. I have the windows version of the mega build. Wine is the ubuntu emulator that installed and opens the mega build. I have been changing the config file trying to get the printer to work, with no luck. I have tried to change the parallel to print to file, printer and everything else. When it is set to printer, the pos program will prompt a print dialog, but then dosbox locks up. only when i shut dosbox off hard does anything appear in my print status. Never prints though. my printer is located on /dev/lp0 but i cant get anything to print. I think i am either missing some syntax in the set up of the parallel section of the config file, or maybe its just not possible. The printer is a dot matrix and is installed and works with ubuntu alone. The pos program has its own drivers built in for dot matrix printers. any help would be great.

Reply 1 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

huh..you've complicated things. Get the sources for the megabuild (or my version, it has the same patches) and compile a native linux build. It contains support for linux direct lpt as well...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 12, by eurobob12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking into source code and such for ubuntu, the only problem is i am very new to linux based o/s and and trying to learn how to compile things and get them to work of the machine. i did download the linux source code, but don't know what to do with it yet. I am doing this for my boss and he is hard headed and has convinced himself that this setup is even possible. I'm not sure that it even is. Thanks for the help though. I think i'm gonna get your code and play with that for a while.

Reply 3 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Tell your boss he should upgrade his hw/sw after 20 years finally.
This is definitely NOT what dosbox is intended for, and even if it may
work in the end there's no guarantee for correctness.

Reply 5 of 12, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm always amazed about how naive people can be. Running mission critical apps in an emulator designed for playing DOS games is just plain silly. For mission critical stuff i'd use one of the "large" PC emulators like VMWare (preferred) or VirtualBox.

Reply 6 of 12, by eurobob12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the input. That was about as helpful as when I asked my grandmother for insight on the same problem. If all i am going to get is help from one person here and snobby ass remarks from everyone else, you might as well kick me off. The program is good because it has very small files and can heal itself if and when there is a problem. Good luck finding that with anything windows based in the last ten years. This is the exact response I expected after reading hundreds of post here.

Reply 12 of 12, by JoelAs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you sure there's no dongle driver setup or anything missing?

A lot of the older commercial applications used parallel dongles on the LPT and if the software is expecting that you'd really have some issues. I'm guessing since you had this setup on another PC you did check that?

I've done a fair bit of work with modern software from some of the bigger point of sale companies, and it's true that most of them are bloated crap. I can, in that regard, understand your boss.

I guess you boss has tons of data built up in the old app too? It's worth all your time to try and fix it? Something to think of..

You could just develop a small application on your own and used the saved time to play more games.. 😉

(I'm just trying out DosBox/FreeDOS myself, looks like fun!)

Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.