VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing some fairly demanding games and demos. Unfortunately, most of these games have issues with the emulated SoundBlaster in dosbox.

For example, I try to play some pinball games, the audio has scratches and pops, but only when playing audio via the SoundBlaster. If I switch to the Gravis Ultrasound, then everything is ok.

Another example is the game "Eye of the Beholder 3". Audio has delays and various scratches, pops and other glitches.

The above only happen on some fairly demanding games (regardless of cpu usage), which use the SoundBlaster, but work fine when the Gravis Ultrasound is used.

Anyone got any suggestions? Is the SB emulation so bad that I should avoid it?

--
sehh

Reply 2 of 7, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dosbox 0.73 for windoze and linux (got it from dosbox site and rpm package for Fedora)

windoze vista 32bit (SP2) and Fedora Linux 64bit (dual boot)

its a laptop with an intel dual core 2.0ghz cpu and 3GB of ram.

since I don't have the laptop with me (I'm at work) I'll write what I remember:

video card: S3 VGA
cpu: auto
speed: 5000-45000 (tested with increments of 5000)

I tried with SB Pro, SB16 with mixer enabled and disabled and played with the various audio settings.

Overall, SB audio was just bad on those few games, while all other "simple" games work fine.

Can someone with Eye of the Beholder 3 tell me if he managed to make it play audio without problems? Because so far I haven't found a single person who has managed to do that.

Thank you.

--
sehh

Reply 3 of 7, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In your ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.73.conf

Go this section: [mixer]

rate=48000
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=80

Try adjusting the blocksize and prebuffer values.

You are 199k RAM short of having enough memory.
You need to buy more memory or remove any memory resident programs, Dude.
-- California Games v 1.01 2/23/88

Reply 4 of 7, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

boyofdestiny, your suggestion improved the situation a little bit, I don't hear pops and the effects are not as lagged as before.

Unfortunately, there are still "scratches" in all the sound effects.

I did more tests and the issues are evident in a few other games (like pinball games, as I mentioned above). I switched the pinball games to use the Gravis Ultrasound and they work flawlessly without any scratches or pops.

Since EOB3 doesn't support GUS I'll have to keep playing with the audio scratches 🙁

--
sehh

Reply 6 of 7, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really? thats interesting... since that doesn't happen on real hardware, I'm guessing that it is a dosbox bug or something not emulated properly?

I noticed issues (pops, clicks, etc) with the sound when playing several pinball games, but when I switched to GUS, sound works fine.

Here they are:
Epic Pinball
Extreme Pinball
Pinball Dreams
Pinball Dreams 2
Pinball Fantasies
Pinball Illusions
Siverball 1995
Absolute Pinball

If you want, I can run each one separately and I can tell you which ones have the most obvious problems.

--
sehh

Reply 7 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sehh wrote:

If you want, I can run each one separately and I can tell you which ones have the most obvious problems.

yeah tell how/where to reproduce them. and make sure you don't use linux for testings as it has its own sound problems, so use windows.