VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I meant to use dosbox to run some simulation software in windows 7, but appearently it can't work!

We recently upgraded about half of our computers (800-1000) and bought windows 7 licences for them. We're still stuck in xp because some problems just don't want to work in 64bit win 7 though. One of which is a dos program.

We used to run those programs on 386sx systems with 30mb harddrive and dos 6.2 - but in 2001 I replaced these systems with athlons and did some creative stuff to make it work with a network printer. This time I'm stuck though.

The problem:
I start dosbox 0.73
mount c: e:\test
cd dysim\villa1
dir

now dir will show a file called VILLA1Ï1.SEQ that in the 'real' file system is called VILLA1Ø1.SEQ
I cannot open the file, I cannot copy the file and I cannot access the file using the real name.
There are approximetly 70 of these files, and they're part of the software. Renaming the files only solves the access problem from the command prompt, but not the software's ability to run as it still can't access the file (it doesn't know I've changed its name ofcourse)

In 0.50 and 0.65 versions of dosbox (0.58 didn't allow me to input backslash so I couldn't mount the path) the Ø char shows up as a char resembling the unicode 256A character (using the Arial font anyway).

Curiously enough if I do a dir>dirlist.txt and open this file with notepad in windows it'll show the proper character.

I've tried diffent code pages in 0.73 using the keyb command (mode con codepage appearently isn't supported in dosbox). Also tried forcing keyboard language in 0.65 using keyboardlayout=dk159 under [dos] and added the ega cpx files from freedos as per guide on this forum. In fact I copied all freedos binary files just to be sure. But it doesn't seem to respect this entry as the keyboard layout still seems to be us with codepage 850 or 865 (ø shows up as a small c with a vertical line at top and bottom as I expect from cp 850.

However the file parsing system doesn't seem to adhere to this codepage - or any codepage actually - as changing 'keyb' keyboards in 0.73 to random codepages doesn't change anything in the directory layout.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? short of booting a dos over pxe (which means I can't print as the old lan manager can't default to ntlmv2 for net use)

ps. Heard rumors that printing from dosbox to 64 bit windows hosts doesn't work in general?

Extra ps. The forum post system is annoying! it keeps centering the scrollbar in the middle at keyboard input, so I had to write this in notepad and copy paste!

Attachments

• Filename
    dumps.zip
    File size
    135.45 KiB
    Downloads
    224 downloads
    File comment
    Screendumps of 0.65 0.73 and cmd
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

i7.bmp <-- doesn't work although profile settings indicate that bbcode is supported and active.

Reply 1 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosbox's readme.txt wrote:
Note that the keyboard layout allows foreign characters to be entered, but there is NO support for them in filenames. Try to avo […]
Show full quote

Note that the keyboard layout allows foreign characters to be entered, but
there is NO support for them in filenames. Try to avoid them both inside
DOSBox as well as in files on your host operating system that are accessible
by DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 11, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, well that's not really a solution to the problem, but merely indicates that the problem is known.

Besides, to me the character isn't foreign.

i7.bmp <-- doesn't work although profile settings indicate that bbcode is supported and active.

Reply 4 of 11, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you name any such emulator?

ps. I know the main purpose of dosbox is retro gaming, but it works for other stuff too. My aunt uses it to run her Auditor software saving her a huge bunch of money on new licenses.

Reply 5 of 11, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From a quick look at some behavour I'm thinking the problem is the use of upcase() ? Wouldn't it be possible to just leave everything in whichever case it is and just pass it on? With no character converting there can't be any incorrect converting I'd think?

Reply 6 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Bochs, Qemu, VPC...

Not everybody would get the response above from me.

"Hi, DOSBox helped me save $$$ but now it refuses to save me even more $$$ because of %problem%. Oh and btw your forum sucks."

vs

"Hi, I'm a %old program% enthusiast and would like to continue using %old program% on my new system".

And no, I don't have a solution for %problem% that I hide from you.

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 11, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never made any claim indicating that I am polite.
I am honest however, and appearently that's more important to people than being polite.
I appreaciate the responses, I really do. But if something bugs me I report it. I'm sorry if that offends you. You've done a fine job making dosbox, it merely isn't perfect just yet.
I'll check out those other pieces of software you suggested and see if any of those are better equipped to solve my problem.

ps. I didn't save a dime on anything. I'm being paid to solve problems, and regardles of the price of the solution my cut is just my wager nothing more. I make no extra money off of any savings or gain any extra profit from advocating a particular solution.

Anyway - it could've been that you did have a solution that simply isn't straight forward - like using a fat12 formatted image to run from or changing to 8 bit color or whatever it could be.

Reply 8 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might be able to set up a disk image with FreeDOS and your software and boot that to get it working in DOSBox. Working with HDD images in DOSBox is a pain though. You're probably better off looking at one of the other mentioned emulators.

Reply 10 of 11, by neiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ye I managed to take a quick look at that before I left work. Now I'll have hollidays till the end of easter so I won't look more into it until then - but I think it'll do if it can redirect lpt1 to something in the real world