VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jynks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there...

I no longer have a 3.5 floppy drive, so I got a mate of mine to use winimage to make of some of my old games for backup.

The problem is that I can not seam to mount them in DosBox, I thought DosBox supported this image format?

I am using this command (for example)

imgmount a c:\games\dosbox\drives\floppys\thexder.ima -t floppy

but DosBox responds as ... "can't create drive from file"
if I remove the "-t cdrom" it says "could not load image file <newline> check that the path is correct and the image is accessible"

Any ideas? I tested the *.ima files with "virtual floppy drive 2.1" and they load fine. While the majority of them I can load in the VFD and then use mount a y:\ -t floppy (when y: is mounted in VFD) some of my games have volume and size checks as part of copy protection and will not work that way, nor if i just copy all the files into a dir and mount like that....
mount a c:\games\dosbox\drives\floppys\thexder -t floppy

Any help would be appreciated... . .

Reply 2 of 10, by jynks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

um... I just have VFD set to load the floppy as y:\ .. I have tried it as a:\ using

mount a a:\ -t floppy

but these games just freeze during the floppy check (please insert your original disk into a:)

I mean I got thexder to work by just downloading it form a abandonware site... (yea i know) but the point of the thread might have gotten confused... . .

Q: Isn't imgmount ment to be able to load *.IMA files using the -t floppy? To load floppy disks as IMA files?

Reply 9 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've never had any problem mounting or booting floppy image files with .IMA extensions, and there is nothing in the DOSBox code that cares what the extension is; however, I suppose it's possible there could be an issue with the host OS. In any case, I recommend taking the proposed solution with a dose of skepticism.

In my collection of floppy images, an IMA extension denotes a readable FAT file system, and an IMG extension means no file system. I did this because IMA is associated with WinImage on my Windows OS, and not because it holds any significance to DOSBox.