VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GBR2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using DOSBox .72 on an XP machine and am going to install .73. I did so on my XP machine at work just to check it out. Question is why did they move the configuation file from being in the DOSBox folder to buried in the documents and settings folder? Found it but seems a strange thing to do.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Users can't write to the Program Files folder unless they are:

1. Administrators of their computer.
2. Changed the permissions of the DOSBox folder or the .conf folder.

Both are the wrong things to do.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by GBR2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am the administrator on both computers and I installed DOSBox in its own folder not in a folder under Program Files. So I assume you are saying that normally Dosbox would install itself in a folder under Program Files and that because some people can not make changes to files in there, they put the .conf file elsewhere so that it could be modified easily.

Still seem strange as in the past you could always install Dosbox anywhere, as I also did with .73, so putting the .conf file with the others makes more sense then what they are now doing.

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This was working fine on XP where everyone and their mom were running everything as admin. Since Vista and W7 Microsoft finally took a more secure approach. It's no longer working for the default user installing Dosbox with the default settings. So to make it work for normal users this had to be fixed and the outcome is what you see 😀

OTOH you can still use a dosbox.conf in your non-program files Dosbox folder. Dosbox will use it if it is there.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper