VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Spa8nky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't run the latest DosBox 0.74 in full screen using the tv2x scaler. The scaler doesn't display evenly spaced scanlines and there are still borders when using aspect = true and fulldouble = true.

These are my config settings that have been changed or are related to this problem

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=openglnb
aspect=true
scaler=tv2x forced

My system config is

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5Q-E
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/20/08 12:13:18 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 1710MB used, 6477MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Can someone please help?

Reply 2 of 4, by Spa8nky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could you be more specific?

If I look in the documentation folder I have the nothing that says "configuration file."

If you are referring to the help in the config file:

#   fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
# Using your monitor's native resolution with aspect=true might give the best results.
# If you end up with small window on a large screen, try an output different from surface.

then using

fullresolution=1920x1080
aspect=true
scaler=tv2x forced

does not stretch the screen fully and does not display even scanlines with any of the outputs: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb OR ddraw.

This is why I posted here.

Reply 3 of 4, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the manual and the readme in the documentation folder you have mentions "configurations file" over 50 times, so maybe try visiting eyes doctor...

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Scaler
it looks scan2x has more visible scanlines than tv2x
and 3x even more.

opengl and overlay doesn't upscale all scalers
ddraw upscales all scalers, but it doesn't work with latest nvidia drivers in winVista/7 (you said nothing about your gfx card)
so check them without using any scaler first.
If you are talking about black collumns on left and right - they have to be there to keep proper aspect (otherwise all characters and everything would be "fat" when standing and very thin and long when lying, ,and totally distorted when bowind down 😉

Last edited by robertmo on 2010-05-13, 12:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by Spa8nky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ddraw upscales all scalers, but it doesn't work with latest nvidia drivers in winVista/7 (you said nothing about your gfx card)

Good point 😀 My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 260 running on the lastest nvidia drivers in Win 7!

The black columns are above, below, left and right; the scanlines are uneven in most cases.

ddraw appears to be the answer to my prayers but why doesn't it work with the Win 7 drivers?

If HLSL shaders could be implemented then scanlines can be added AFTER scaling and all would look great:

#define LINES_ON      1
#define LINES_OFF 1
#define OFF_INTENSITY 0.5

float2 TextureSize;
float2 InputSize;
float2 OutputSize;

texture Texture;

sampler sourceSampler = sampler_state
{
texture = <Texture>;

MagFilter = LINEAR;

AddressU = CLAMP;
AddressV = CLAMP;
};

float4 Ps(float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0) : COLOR
{
float pixelRatio = OutputSize.y * (TextureSize.y / InputSize.y);

return tex2D(sourceSampler, texCoord)
* (floor(texCoord.y * pixelRatio) % (LINES_ON + LINES_OFF) < LINES_ON ? 1.0 : OFF_INTENSITY);
}

technique T0
{
pass P0
{
PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 Ps();
}
}