VOGONS

Common searches

Emulate CONFIG.SYS?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Paolo_R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that AUTOXEC.BAT can be emulated in the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf, but what about CONFIG.SYS?

I want to load ANSI.SYS which would normally require a device=ANSI.SYS line in CONFIG.SYS. Can I do this in DosBox?

Reply 2 of 26, by Paolo_R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing around with 4DOS and I want to use the coloured directory listings feature, which requires ANSI.SYS (which I have).

I can't load CONFIG.SYS in a XP command window or, as far as I'm aware, in DOSBOX, so I was launching DOSBOX and then starting 4DOS inside DOSBOX.

Since DOSBOX can emulate CONFIG.SYS entries like emm, xms, and umb I'm asking if it can emulate other DEVICE= entries.

Reply 3 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox has support for ANSI codes built in; it's an "always on" feature that doesn't have to be enabled (or disabled) in the settings. Just set the 4DOS ColorDir environment variable to your taste, and you're good to go.

Even if you did load a console device driver like an ANSI driver, it won't work because DOSBox's console device doesn't send the output through INT 29 like real DOS.

Reply 4 of 26, by Paolo_R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox has support for ANSI codes built in; it's an "always on" feature that doesn't have to be enabled (or disabled) in the settings. Just set the 4DOS ColorDir environment variable to your taste, and you're good to go.

Wunderbar! Many thanks for the clarifications.

Is there a document somewhere in which all this good stuff is described?

Reply 5 of 26, by blaxius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.
Since long time passed after this subject sorry for bothering
But I need to use a CNC which was running only in dos. I need to install a device driver using config.sys
I found some text about how to set up config.sys but I couldn't find how to add or use config.sys with dosbox.
would u care to help me. I am trying to add a devicehigh=pacervs1.exe to windows xp which didnt work after 5 hours of working on it.
here is the link about setting config.sys with dosbox but Where to do it?
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=6991
ty vm
cheers

Reply 8 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If the driver creates a character device (one where you open the device like a file using a specific name and then read from it and write to it like a file or use IOCTL functions on it), DOSBox doesn't support them with its emulated DOS. You'll have to boot real DOS in DOSBox, and then you can use CONFIG.SYS in the usual way.

Reply 9 of 26, by blaxius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made an img file with magic iso and gethered an iso file over internet and embedded the lines I need on the config.sys.
Now I will try to mount that iso and boot from it. Since I just met dosbox today it takes some time to make configurations. Btw i told it was for CNC software which is not a Game dominus and H-a-l-9000 thnx for the link but that page doesnt have any info about dosbox nor emulators. The pc is 16 years old which is a DX33 and its software doesnt work on 586. I have been trying to install that devicedriver for 7 hours which I tried on XP. I added to services.msc, added on config.nt and some other tricks but there is no way to use devicehigh=pacervs1.exe to embed on XP
I will inform you after I mount and boot on dosbox. ty cheers

Reply 14 of 26, by blaxius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ell first of all I found that DosBox is one of the best emulators over others, Thats why I wanted to use it. An author is telling me to change it maybe I will. I tried Mach3 for using it. But I couldnt find a software which is designed to control COM port to control a CNC. Softwares are for controlling parallel ports.
2nd I am trying to do something, if there is only one way to do it I will find it. If you are questioning something else then I give up. But I was asking some logical questions didn't I?
Anyway
After trying several creating softwares finally I managed to create the dos50.ima file which works fine with dosbox.
I mounted the drive using

mount c: c:\pacerpc
imgmount a c:\image\DOS50.ima -t floppy
boot -l a

my config.sys and autoexec.bat files works fine and decices are loaded
but after booting I cannot see drive z nor drive c
probobly cos of the boot. Do you have any suggestions about it
I will try the dosbox conf order of booting and mounting but I dont think any commands will work after boot -l a
ty vm
And btw if I can manage to work the cnc this will be a good referance for you 😜, ty vm for the innovative answers btw 😜

Reply 15 of 26, by blaxius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Screenshots from consoles

Attachments

• dosbox03.JPG
    Filename
    dosbox03.JPG
    File size
    46.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • dosbox02.JPG
    Filename
    dosbox02.JPG
    File size
    55.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dosbox01.JPG
    Filename
    dosbox01.JPG
    File size
    58.92 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And btw if I can manage to work the cnc this will be a good referance for you

No it won't, because no one except you gives a flying f*ck about some ancient CNC software. Read my lips: DOSBOX IS AN EMULATOR FOR DOS GAMES (primarily). What you're trying to do is way out of the scope of DOSBox, even though there's a slim chance it might work. The fact that you're insisting on using DOSBox for the job I'm guessing you have in mind kinda answers my above question. To draw you a picture, you're trying to screw in a screw with a hammer. You'll maybe able to get the screw in somehow, but it would be so much easier using a screwdriver.