VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mark2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was reading through the wishlists and was recalling debates about this years ago. I personally like navigating DOS as part of the experience. So I would lean on the side of not including a GUI. Third parties seem to be doing a fine job of it.

But, honestly, the config file is a mess to navigate and shows up in different places with each version of Dosbox and on different OSes. It would be nice to have a preference panel that would make all that stuff into a bunch of check boxes. Its not a full GUI, but just a place to tweak global settings without having to edit a hidden text file.

Reply 2 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no need to worry about different versions of DOSBox, just the latest. As for that one it dumps the config file where it should be in home or profile folder.

Linux
\Home\Username\.dosbox

9x-NT4
C:\Windows\Profiles\somewhere under here
C:\winnt\Profiles\somewhere under here

2000-XP-2003
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\DosBox

Vista-2008-7-2008R2
C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local\DOSBox

Which under Windows can be accessed using the handy dandy "DOSBox Options" shortcut so you don't have to remember the path.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 19, by Mark2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, but why? The question is why should even the most hard core user have to search for a config file and edit it by hand? Why is a settings panel so offensive? You know, DOS software had them. Most games required an install program before launch. Are you saying DOSBox needs to be more primitive than software from 1987?

Reply 6 of 19, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mark2000 wrote:

Yes, but why? The question is why should even the most hard core user have to search for a config file and edit it by hand?

Hard core users by definition edit config files by 'hand'.

Mark2000 wrote:

Why is a settings panel so offensive? You know, DOS software had them. Most games required an install program before launch. Are you saying DOSBox needs to be more primitive than software from 1987?

Gee, you are only the seventy-billionth person to make such an observation about DOSBox. 😜 However, several coders have already obviated your request by actually producing exactly what you requested before you even asked!

Guess you missed the "Frontend" comment above.

What you want DOSBox to do is already done by numerous GUI front-ends for DOSBox. Try looking here to your heart's content...

dvwjr

Reply 7 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mark2000 wrote:

Most games required an install program before launch. Are you saying DOSBox needs to be more primitive than software from 1987?

Not all install programs at that time had a GUI. Sierra had text based installers up to around 1990. Some reasons that many prefer doing it by hand is that it is simply quicker and easier. On top of that, there are usually only a few changes from default that you will ever use for any one given game. You can use an custom config file for that game that only has the settings that vary from the defaults that you want. The game will use the DOSBox defaults for everything else.

Reply 8 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

[quoteBut, honestly, the config file is a mess to navigate[/quote]
How so? It's a text file you scroll up and down...

and shows up in different places with each version of Dosbox and on different OSes.

How dare they make the OS' different to each other?

Anyway it has been tried to integrate something like this into Dosbox and both authors didn'T finish it, instead never came back...
So, yes, there are frontends...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 19, by Mark2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, moving the config file every version is pretty much an attempt to drive off all but the most hard core users. It's amazing how many programmers complain about bad software when a command in the drop down menus isn't where it should be and this piece of crap moves its entire settings structure to a different place with each iteration. I had a config file that was fine where it was in the same folder as dosbox, upgraded, attempted to continue editing the file as usual. Found that changes had no effect. Had to go rummaging through the damn wiki to see it had been recreated elsewhere.

Front ends really don't cut it mostly because they act as game launchers. At least all the ones on the Mac do. I don't want a game launcher with a need to reset everything for each game. I just want to be able to set one attrib here and there easily. 21st century style.

And yes, it is difficult to have to scroll through heaps of text options and # comment lines and then set options where some are "yes/no" and some are "true/false". It's all such bullshit for the sake of it. I can see why the author's gave up. They, and most everyone here are ninnies when it comes to any kind of usability. Instead of sitting with your thumbs up your asses saying "this is not important to us gods", get someone who is versed in simple human interface stuff - like me, I'm a frakking web designer/animator/ui creator - who would work for free and take their advice.

No, I can't code it myself. That's not my thing. But I can certainly advise, do mock ups, and create elements all for the love of the app. If you all weren't so hostile and silly. But do continue alienating people and keep making a shit product that we never gain real wide spread usage beyond uber geeks.

Reply 10 of 19, by Mark2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW, I also wanted to mention how hilarious it is that one your arguments is "don't you think a million people have said the same thing before you". Just shows how out of touch you are. A million people are saying it because its an obvious flaw. After that no other argument makes any difference. Makes me wonder if a bunch of people walked up to you and told you you had a bloody nose if you would continue to disagree until you had bled to death.

Reply 11 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mark2000 wrote:

But do continue alienating people and keep making a shit product that we never gain real wide spread usage beyond uber geeks.

If that were actually true, I wouldn't have ever imagined the world would have over 10,000,000 uber geeks to get it!

Just use a frontend. I use DBGL. It's cross platform java, maybe you will like it. The end.

By the way, this is Free Software for there is no such thing as entitlement or warranty. The developers don't owe you anything. It is a hobby project.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 19, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mark2000 wrote:

and keep making a shit product that we never gain real wide spread usage beyond uber geeks.

The solution is quite brainlessly simple. Head to EBay and buy yourself a shiny new 386 or 486 class machine... PROBLEM SOLVED!.

Oh, but waitaminute, you'll STILL have to configure the hardware and edit cryptic things such as AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files to 'tweak' it up.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking... my bad.

(edit) Oh, and if you wish to bitch about "shit products", I'd suggest you head over to some of Mickey$oft's forums :whap:

[rant]
# Lines in this section will be run at shutdown.
rantmode=off
shutyertrap=true

...and to the world (and DB authors).... DOSBox ROCKS! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 13 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please stop telling him to shut up. I'm enjoying this far too much. Is it yearly or half a year that someone who knows it so much better shows up to bi... aehm I mean, shows up to give such even tempered advice?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 19, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Anyway it has been tried to integrate something like this into Dosbox and both authors didn'T finish it, instead never came back...

I'm still around, Dominus. And actually still working on it too, though progress has been slow due to my new and rather busy day job. On the plus side, vacation time is coming up soon 😁

Yes, tomorrow it'll be a year since my last post about it, but there will be an update soon. http://www.shdon.com/blog/tag:dosbox

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 16 of 19, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:
Mark2000 wrote:

...Front ends really don't cut it...

Constructive feedback/comments/suggestions are always welcome.

I think it's about some general settings, which my frontend really lost with version 2.0, on some frontends known as Template.

Klimawandel.

Reply 19 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm still around, Dominus. And actually still working on it too, though progress has been slow due to my new and rather busy day job. On the plus side, vacation time is coming up soon

Great to hear something from you on this subject...
If you get this a bit further I'd realy like to see a patch for it, since I switched to OS X and thus a windows binary is nothing for me anymore 😀
Anyway, knowing that you are still on it makes me happy enough...