VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes as for the drag and drop its a known bug that appears in all windows past windows 95 that Microprose never fixed 🤣

Reply 21 of 28, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And only on your systems. Strange definition of a bug.

PS: it's "Microsoft", not "Microprose". If you're going to troll then at least do it correctly.

EDIT: hmmm... Or are you talking about a bug in the game?

Reply 22 of 28, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its a bug in the Windows Version of Colonization the drag and drop fails, has to do with the IE intergration into Explorer.

But my issue is solved, I installed TinyXP (changed the key to a legal one of my own before anyone asks). Now the cmd prompt plays the music in the dos version of Colonization just fine after i installed the MCI drivers into XP 🤣

Reply 23 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not fixed. You're running a DOS game in XP.

FYI IE integration became mandatory in Win98. Win95 did not come with IE4 enhanced desktop until OSR 2.5, but then that's presented as a choice. You could have also used 98lite to get a IE-less shell into your wincolon.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 24 of 28, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try reducing the emulated memory size of DOSBox. No need to waste 16 MB if you only need 1 or 2 and you're already low on RAM.

As for speed, compiling DOSBox yourself on Visual C++ Express 2010 with full-program optimization (and all other optimizations that make sense) does give a nice speed boost, if you can pull it off.

tearex

Reply 25 of 28, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for speed, compiling DOSBox yourself on Visual C++ Express 2010 with full-program optimization (and all other optimizations that make sense) does give a nice speed boost, if you can pull it off.

Really? Can you provide examples, because since the dynamic interpreter DOSBox has been very resistant to both whole program and guided profile optimization for me, and VTune seems to agree there isn't much to be done about it.

-Frob

Reply 26 of 28, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I can only say I got a 15% or so speed increase in Doom for example, compared to VC++ Express 2008 with equivalent settings. This was on an Intel Atom processor in a netbook, which I assume is better supported by the newer Microsoft compiler. Maybe there is less to be gained on mainline CPUs.

Probably you know more about this than me though.

tearex

Reply 27 of 28, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Don't know about vs2008 express' optimization capabilities, but cpu-bound
games (like doom) should not benefit too much from compiler optimizations.

Try some quake timedemo or duke3d fps display for your builds comparing
them to the official 0.74 release. Could of course be caused by specialities
of the cpu or some graphics output problem/"feature".