VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Thrash911

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, forum.

I am an OS X (mac) user.

I am aware, that AWE32 emulation is not possible in DOSBox. But I also understand, that it IS possible to get the great music sound that AWE32 had. I am striving to get the nice AWE32 music in the game "Descent", because I remember it sounded awesome! In the README it says "AWE32 music is not emulated as you can use MPU-401 instead". I don't understand this.. I have tried to change the midi settings around a bit, but music does not sound noticably different.

I have read a bit in these forums as well, and understand I need something called a "softsynth" and/or "soundfonts"..? But again, I have no clue.. 😢

Is it possible to elaborate, on how it can be possible to get the nice AWE32 music sound? As stated above, I am using OS X. But if it is completely impossible in this enviroment, I can also use Windows XP..

I hope someone can help me. Thanks a lot in advance! 😉

-Brian

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to hear a very close approximation to EMU8000 midi on Awe32, get Fluidsynth (i'm not sure if that's available as a midi driver for OS X, but it isn't for Windows XP (unfortunately 🙁)), and load 1MGM.SF2 into it. From there in your DOS games, pick MPU-401 or General MIDI for your music devices.

In my experience, Timidity++ won't cut it if that AWE32-ish sound is what you're looking for.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by Thrash911

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right, I spoke too soon.. Looks like you have to compile it yourself, and I just cannot do that.. That is super complex for me. Let alone running it from command line seems complicated. 😢 I'm more of a GUI guy. Sad, that it is not somehow easier to get AWE32 sound. But that's life, I guess.

Is it not possible for the developers of DOSBox to implement the real AWE32 sound via GM, so it is easily configured in the configuration file? Well, what do I know, just a thought.. 😉

Anyway, again.. Thanks a lot for trying to help me! Much appreciated.

-Brian

Reply 5 of 6, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're on Mac OS X, you may try also the DXX Rebirth project:
http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

Which is simply a newly designed interpreter for the original game files.

Klimawandel.

Reply 6 of 6, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thrash911 wrote:
Hello, forum. […]
Show full quote

Hello, forum.

I am an OS X (mac) user.

... But I also understand, that it IS possible to get the great music sound that AWE32 had. I am striving to get the nice AWE32 music in the game "Descent", because I remember it sounded awesome! ...
-Brian

you can listen to some examples (and also a few descent tracks) on my website: www.wavetable.nl on how the awe32 (and MANY others) sound like.

😀

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)