VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SkyHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm not certain if here or the MT-32 Emulation forum is more appropriate (I'm not emulating the sound module!)

I'm on a core2 rig running Windows XP 64-bit, with no native MIDI interface on the board. I've got a cheapo USB MIDI adapter, and while it "works" my MT-32 is reporting checksum errors during the Wing Commander load. I'm assuming the issue is the lousy adapter munging SysEx. Can anyone recommend first-hand a USB midi adapter that will work on 64-bit windows and correctly handle SysEx?

It occurs to me that every time I get the urge to play some really old games with beautiful MT-32 music it gets harder and harder to actually get my machine to interface with this relic. To say nothing of the fact that the thing is still kicking!

I think that when people in the year 2020 are asking how to interface with an MT-32 the answer will be "you can't" or "Get a bunch of stuff from a museum".

As such, I'm intending to record as much music from as many games as possible, with the intention of posting to Youtube (as well as keeping a lossless copy for myself) for archive's sake. My understanding is that emulation is not happening, and this sound must not be allowed to fade to oblivion.