VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EmuLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I was wondering if DOSBox can still be compile optimized for older PCs. We're talking PIII here. I have an older 733 Mhz OC'ed to 825 Mhz that I still use for various reasons.

Are there any pre-made DOSBox builds that may run well on this, assuming no 3D acceleration?

Reply 5 of 8, by EmuLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

The compiler does it usually far better than you could optimize the sources.

Do you mean the actual program/method used to compile would make a difference (Visual C++ for instance)?

wd wrote:

The compiler does it usually far better than you could optimize the sources.
And adding architecture-specific custom optimizations is not maintainable.

Perfectly understandable.

Forgoing the latest DOSBox app/game compatibilities, could someone recommend me a build that would run the best on a PC from this era?

-> PIII, 512MB RAM, Yamaha Sound, Matrox Graphics, Windows XP...

Reply 7 of 8, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try installing simply the standard DOSBox 0.74? Was it too slow? And if so, was it much too slow or just a little too slow?

If it was much too slow even with core=dynamic and cycles=max config file options, there won't be much you can do about it. How about dual-booting your old PC into real DOS in that case?

tearex

Reply 8 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a competent soundcard with OPL2/3 you can use Hal's megabuild to use the OPL passthrough for a bit of a speed boost for those games that use adlib opl2 etc.

Use no scaler.

Also, 22050 every rate.

I still run DOSBox on machines 2 generations before the P3 for some CGA games that go too fast 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem