VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sipes760

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got into DOS games and I have a question about the different sound options in some game installers. I know DOSBox is sound blaster compatible but which is the best version of sound Blaster to use to get the best quality sound? I am asking this because a couple of the games I just bought give you the option of two or three different versions of sound blaster to install. I didn't get into computing until years after DOS was obsolete and I don't know the difference between one sound blaster version from another. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sound Blaster is the oldest, does mono output only in 8-bit, only has OPL2 (mono FM midi)
Sound Blaster Pro is newer, does stereo output, still only in 8-bit, earlier models had dual OPL2, later models had OPL3 (DOSBox can emulate both)
Sound Blaster 16 is stereo and 16-bit, also has OPL3 (Stereo FM midi)

Technically Sound Blaster 16 is the best option though some games have bad compatibility with it, but that's very few. Also the emulated Sound Blaster 16 is better than the actual one in audio quality 😀 (except for the YMF262, but it has come a long way so far to being close)

apsosig.png
long live PCem