VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by corvey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I notice some high memory usage and went to investigate. Dosbox is over 1GIG of memory in size! Why is Dosbox leaking and when will there be a fix?

Dosbox is set to 32megs and the app reads 32megs. Dosbox starts out at 84megs when first run, but grows to 500meg within 5 minutes! If left over night it's over 1gig!!!

This program is fantastic, but this memory leak is a real big problem!

Last edited by corvey on 2011-02-01, 15:09. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by corvey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's BBS software called MajorBBS. Dosbox runs it great, but this memory leak will cause problems hogging so much ram. This shouldn't happen. It has not crashed yet, but it's robbing memory. Any ideas how to stop this memory leak?

Last edited by corvey on 2011-02-01, 15:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

High memory use can occur when there are many incomplete searches for individual files. Don't know if that's the case here, but it's a definite possibility. There was some kind of security application with the issue, which you can read about here, and maybe the workaround program in that thread will work in your case as well.

Reply 7 of 10, by corvey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You guys are brilliant! So far so good! I think this is my solution too! I'm gonna test it over night to verify it and will give a certified answer tomorrow!

Thanks so much for the help guys! This dosbox program is A W E S O M E !!! I love it!

Reply 8 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You also might want to consider using hal's megabuild of DOSBox, because it rolls the clock over at midnight (I think). Official DOSBox does not advance the date or roll the clock over, which can be a problem for some applications that are left running "24/7".

Reply 9 of 10, by corvey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do use the Megabuild6 version because I need the packet driver support 😀 And I must say, it is sweet!

So far so good on the FFCLOSE TSR. I do believe this is indeed the answer!

Thank you all 😀 Excellent collaboration!

Reply 10 of 10, by corvey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Certified and has my seal of approval. Ran over night and only rose by a couple of bytes (instead of megs or gigs!) as stated it would in the other thread.

Fantastic software 😀 Thanks to all!