VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sorbit_4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use DOSBox v0.72 under XP. I have a DOS program which uses the speaker. I can not configure DOSBox to have the sound on the speaker. The sound alwais go to the soundcard which is integrated in the motherboard. Under XP (and under MS DOS) in command mode the sound goes to the speaker.
How can I reach the same effect under DOS Box?

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can't.
Btw. Get rid of that ages old Dosbox version...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox emulates the PC speaker. Why is this a problem?

If you like to use the built in PC speaker, use Free DOS or build a DOS boot disk or USB stick or something on those lines...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 7, by sorbit_4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the answer. Yes I can use speaker booting from DOS. But it is very convenient using DOSBox, because I can switch to XP to see the mails, surfing, etc. I am very satisfied with DOSBox because it supports serial port (and it is quite compatible with MS-DOS), it is used my program. PC speaker is a small complaint.

Reply 4 of 7, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Playing complex sounds (i.e. anything other than simple "beep"s) through the real PC speaker is next to impossible in a normal modern multi-tasking OS such as Windows XP, since unlike sound cards, the speaker has no hardware data buffer and thus is extremely timing sensitive. Access the real speaker's I/O port a little too early or too late and the sound is ruined; in sound cards, too late is bad as well (stuttering), but too early is generally OK. You can really only use the speaker from a an OS that's either a real-time OS, or one that allows user programs to assume complete control of the machine (like DOS does).

tearex

Reply 5 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, since the PC speaker isn't used much anymore, apparently many PC cases use ultra-cheap crystal-type speakers that are inferior to the speakers that were once commonly used - so you're much better off with DOSBox's output through your sound card.

(That's what I've read, anyway. I don't know if it's really the case.)

Reply 6 of 7, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Also, since the PC speaker isn't used much anymore, apparently many PC cases use ultra-cheap crystal-type speakers that are inferior to the speakers that were once commonly used - so you're much better off with DOSBox's output through your sound card.

(That's what I've read, anyway. I don't know if it's really the case.)

Yes it is. Modern speakers are just piezos making it virtually impossible to play back samples on a PC speaker (which in fact works surprisingly well depending on the software). Emulating it through the soundcard might seem odd at first, but in fact is certainly the best way possible. Also, that way you get volume mixing.