VOGONS

Common searches

REALLY dumb newbie question - how do I get the games?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by briforge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I go to the games section on the dosbox.sourceforge.net site, and then navigate to the game I'm trying to get (XCOM 1), the only links I see are a link to Add a new game to the database, and to post a new comment. And yes, I'm logged in at this point. Do we simply get the games from another site?

Reply 2 of 24, by briforge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any suggestions of where to download it? Or am I supposed to get if off of ebay? I've downloaded what I think is the 'Gold Edition' of the original game that is supposed to work on modern PCs, but apparently I need a fix-file called 'xcom1fix.exe' to get that to work, and I can't find an active place to download that either. I'd be happy to get either that or the old DOS version to work with DOSBOX.

Reply 5 of 24, by Mordrid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have a "BOOKMAN'S" store around your area, it's a FANTASTIC place to pick up old games really cheap. It's a used book/music/software chain.

In the past year-year and a half I decided to revisit many of the oldies I used to play and have found most of them there.

Ex. Wing Commander series, Strike commander, x-com 1-2, Lands of Lore, EOB 1-3, Full Throttle, Descent 1-2, TES 1-2, and many more

Most of them only cost $3-5 and the few I couldn't find there I got off of ebay. And if you don't have a Bookman's in your area, look at some used book stores. Sometimes they don't advertise that they resell software. $5 is a small price to pay for classics!

-Dj
"Mordrid"

Reply 11 of 24, by arromdee4

User metadata

They don't seem to sell well. Do a search for "Wing Commander" on Ebay completed items. I find WC2 at $7.50 and $4.99 with no bids, Armada at $0.31, Privateer+Armada for $2, WC3 for $8 and $3, etc. (Of course, Kilrathi Saga is going to be expensive.)

If anything, people tend to price old games too high in the first place; a lot of games get no bids. And watch out for shipping--Ebay fees are on the price of the item, not on the price of the shipping, which encourages sellers to pump up the shipping price.

Reply 16 of 24, by CobraA1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I happen to own Detroit, an old game about cars. I got DOSBox so I could play it.

The best way is to have owned the game in the first place, or to buy it.

I'd stay away from p2p - lots of viruses, lots of trojans, oh, and did I mention it's illegal? You're just asking for trouble using p2p programs.

I really wouldn't go to any abandonware sites - illegal, and again, possible trojans and viruses.

Reply 19 of 24, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dear dear, if we're going to have a discussion about the legality of filesharing and/or abandonware let's take it to Milliways. And please don't play the scare tactics game here. You seriously overrate the problem of virii and trojans... <unwarranted editorial>unless you're using Internet Explorer, in which case you probably deserve them. </unwarranted editorial>

Yes, it’s my fault.