VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Darth Killer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello friends !
First i'd like to congratulate the entire DOSBox team for the great work. 😉

I've run into the desire to perform PROMPT commands in DOSBox, unfortunatly it doesn't seem to be implemented yet. I've been looking for an executable file that would do the trick, but neither Google search queries nor virtualized DOS 6.2 system could provide me with anything.

So i ask here : is there anyway to perform something like the code bellow, or should it be added to the wish list ?

prompt $d $t$_[$p] 

Result example :

15th January 2010 16:01:49
[C:\] dir *.txt
Last edited by Darth Killer on 2011-05-26, 19:37. Edited 1 time in total.

-- Darth Killer --

Reply 1 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you list several games with this command as the requirement?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 7, by Darth Killer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for answering this little problem. 😉

Gamecollector : you got a point here, however even if DOSBox is mainly used for games, who said it was limited to it ? Personally i use it as my second most used of 4 DOS environments, in wich i also perform batch scripting activities. And anyway, i just love spacy and complete prompts... 😜

DosFreak : My, i never heard of 4dos before, looks like i missed something. 😳
Unfortunatly, while it can be loaded within DOSBox, it also halts DOSBox batch without loading its own autoexec or anything else. I've yet to figure out how to make 4dos.com start his autoexec.bat file automatically. Will have to dig this possibility further.

As for the other option you mentionned, i just tried using a mass copy of my FreeDOS harddiks mounted as C in DOSBox. didn't work, FreeDOS was still broken. I wonder why, paths were correctly set up...
I'll try to install FreeDOS or DOS 6.2 directly in DOSBox, hopefully reboot request might be no problem... 😒

Still, thanks for both leads. 😉

-- Darth Killer --

Reply 6 of 7, by Darth Killer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ripsaw8080 : you're supposed to replace command.com with 4dos.com, the way 4DOS devs have seen it. That's why it has its own autoexec. Anyways, thanks for the tip, i shall try it right away, will sup up what comes out of it. 😉

On a second thought, it's dinner time here, i'll wait till i have a filled stomac.... 😁

bloodbat : oopsie, you had not posted yet when i started my reply to ripsaw. xD
Interesting tip, i'll see if it works similarly. That makes 2 tips to try to solve the 4DOS possibility, wich seems to be the best one here. 😁

-- Darth Killer --

Reply 7 of 7, by Darth Killer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, here what i ended up with. And before i start explaining it : IT WORKS !! THANKS ALL. 😀

First, i already have a distinct folder mounted as S:\ (with s:\ included to PATH) that contains many commands i added to my DOSBox env. I unzipped 4DOS in a subfolder of it (wich i also added to PATH), and installed it through DOSBox

Didn't do much as far as i could see, but that was enough. In dosbox.conf, iended the autoexec section with 2 final lines :

4dos s:\menu.bat
exit

This way, when i exit the 4DOS mode, the DOSBox autoexec will continue to the next line, wich says "exit".

My menu system does many things, among wich a possibility to god to prompt mode. If you choose that option, the prompt command (aquired by 4DOS) is used. I noticed all DOSBox special commands like mount are still in effect and unmodified while in 4DOS mode.

So yeah, it works perfectly. Thanks you all for the help. 😉

-- Darth Killer --