VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dernagon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am attempting to use Dosbox in a less traditional method. Instead of trying to run games I am attempting to run old Motorola Radio Service Software. The software seems to load up just fine, however when I attempt to read devices (IE. radios) via the com ports it fails to do so. I should also note that Dosbox is definetly attempting to connect to serial devices, because I can see the Tx and Rx strings in the .exe window. I was curious to know what the current com port compatibility is for Dosbox. I noticed that Dosbox claims to be able to access modems via com ports so I suspect that other devices, in theory, should work as well. Maybe I need to configure something in Dosbox first? If so I don’t know how. I’ve read the documentation that comes with Dosbox and already tried running a search through the forums, but haven’t really found any solutions. The only applicable info that might be useful is the fact that I am using Dosbox in Windows XP. I’ve heard that there might be some issues with XP making it difficult for programs to access serial/parallel ports directly. Anyway, if anyone knows enough about this specific type of issue could help I’d appreciate it.

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The comports of dosbox are quite finished but purely emulated They never acces the host system (your pc)

The modem you are reffering to is the emulated modem of dosbox not your real modem. If you want to acces real hardware. you will have to code that yourself.
(quite easy just forward all incoming data to the host os) But dosbox doesn't do this. (It's an emulator. not a virtualizer)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by Guest (drydiggins)

User metadata

Yep, I have the same situation described by Dernagon and the other guest.
The Motorola Radio Service Software cacks when you try to run it on any current (fast) hardware. Time marches on, computers get faster and Motorola has moved on too, no longer providing support for the radios.
Nevertheless, we have an inventory of radios that we must support. There are lots of P.D.'s & F.D.'s that connot afford to buy MTLA's latest.
As a communications coordinator for the Office of Emergency Services here in California, I encounter this situation regularly.

Cheers!,
George Lowry
george.lowry@oes.ca.gov

Reply 4 of 7, by taranathicus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry to be a bother qbix, bit if it is

(quite easy just forward all incoming data to the host os) But dosbox doesn't do this. (It's an emulator. not a virtualizer)

how would one go about trying to do this?

Thanks[/quote]

Reply 6 of 7, by microdesigns

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have exact same problem/need!
I have many complied qbasic 4.5 programs
that run VERY slowly on winxp due to serial
i/o delays (as much as 2-3 sec per byte)

If anybody comes up with solutions please include me.
raypublic at hacs dot com
Thanks!

Reply 7 of 7, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I'm trying to track down all the threads where serial pass through capability was requested. I've just completed it which means it will hopefully be in the DosBox 0.62!