VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by audiodane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, i don't even know what to search for to see if this question has been asked already. But I was wondering if dosbox settings (clock rate, video settings, etc) could be modified from within the dosbox instance itself?

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in developing a fairly primitive but extremely portable front-end for my games. I don't want the host machine to need JAVA or anything else- and would prefer to include on my USB stick several versions of dosbox (Windows, Linux, etc) and have one application that launches within that instance and from there load the selected game, adjusting dosbox settings as needed.

I'm wondering if this is possible, or if I should go ahead and give up before I really get started.... 😀

thanks,
..dane

Reply 1 of 4, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yepp you can do this with the command

Config -set <section> <attribute>=<value>

So let's say you want to change the amount of cycles tp 100000, then you have to type

Config -set cpu cycles=100000

Hope that's what you're searching for.

Reply 2 of 4, by audiodane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much! This should be enough to get me going. I will let you know if I need any additional help.

EDIT: Actually yes, one more question. can I read an entirely different .conf file this way, or would I need to manually change each parameter? Looking at CONFIG commandline within the wiki, it seems I can write an entire config file, but it doesn't look like I can load one.. 🙁

thanks,
..dane

Reply 3 of 4, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Loading a separate conf is done with a parameter when you first launch DOSBox.
Changing settings from within DOSBox would be done one at a time. Though you can use a batch file with the relevent commands to automate it.

Reply 4 of 4, by audiodane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea, and that makes total sense. But with as portable as DOSBox is, you need a different build for each platform. So it would make sense for a front-end to be within dosbox itself, as a portable front-end as well. (Otherwise you need a front-end for each platform if you wanted a front-end for all your many dozens of games.)

I was thinking about a dos based front-end that would run well in dosbox, that could then update the instance settings before running each game. In my particular setup each game already has its own dosbox.conf file in the game folder. I was hoping to just load it with each game.

Unless someone believes such a load feature would be a useful thing to add to dosbox, I guess I'll pause to consider the level of effort before diving into this dos based frontend idea..

thanks,
..dane