VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SpideyBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After installing DOSBox at my gentoo box and running a game (Carmen Sandiego), I wanted to try new settings, mainly messing around with scaling and resolutions.
I now ended with DOSBox overriding my native lcd resolution with an overscanned version of the original resolution. I tried rebooting, but the change was definitive. It was definitely DOSBox and changing between fullscreen and windowed modes that messed it all.

I'm using xorg 1.10.2, with open source radeon drivers, KMS and modesetting enabled on the kernel, and using a ATI official DVI-to-HDMI adapter to send video AND sound to my TV set, which is fullHD (1920x1080). I can reach off-screen widgets like the KDE startmenu button, or window borders to move or close/minimize maximized windows. I tried xrandr but I can't delete the new 1920x1080 resolution, or even force to populate xrandr with EDID resolutions.

Anyone could help?

Reply 1 of 1, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use Fedora, which uses Gnome, so I can't be certain how much use this will be.

The first thing I suggest trying, even if I doubt it will help, is to check to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, if it exists on your system, and see if any changes were made in it.

Much more likely is that the DE has made the change, and I don't have any idea where KDE stores its configs.
On my system, I found that it looks like it's stored in ~/.config/monitors.xml.
You could try seeing if you have that and editing that. (Though I would definitely suggest making a back-up, and ideally having some way to replace the altered version with the back-up from outside your linux install, or the X session, if things go bad, as you could end up without X at all. Another OS that can access your linux install, or a LiveCD should do the trick.)
Perhaps even erasing it, after making a back-up to see if it will be re-created properly. Though again it would be a good idea, if you can restore it if need be.

If you don't have .config/monitors.xml, in looking at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml you could check for /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-monitor.conf