VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Advercy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
We recently purchased a new computer to act as our server (the motherboard went out on our old one.) As all new computers come today, it came with windows 7. We use SMART as our names and addresses database for our business's annual newsletter plus our vendor contact information etc. It didn't take much to discover that DOSbox was the only option for Windows 7 home premium 64bit users who want to run DOS programs.
I've figured out how to make DOSbox start the SMART program, however i cannot get it to follow the path (of projects that my dad wrote) that causes smart to open the right directories and cause SMART to perform as we need it to.
When I use (Changing the "target" under properties of the DOSbox shortcut)
C:\sw\Smrt310\SMART1st.exe
it opens the basic SMART screen, however when i use
C:\SW\SMRT310\SMART1st.EXE d -y -ps -fnet_3P1 -r32 -sc:\sw\smrt310
(which contains the path for the SMART to open the right menu and be useful for us) it simply opens the regular DOSbox screen as if nothing was added to the target line. I'm not sure what this means, or what to do about it.
Can anyone shed some insight? Everything i've read online makes DOSbox out to just be a DOS game opener, and offers no other help. At this point i don't even know if running SMART in the way we need it to is possible with DOSbox. Any help is appreciated!

Reply 1 of 9, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should really read the readme, and, if necessary, the wiki.

you need to learn about the mount command, and either the autoexec section of the config file or the -c command line option (you can have several).

at the end of the config file, you can add

[autoexec] 
mount c c:\SW
c:\SMRT310\SMART1st.EXE d -y -ps -fnet_3P1 -r32 -sc:\smrt310

will probably do what you want. C:\SW in Windows becomes c: in DOSBox (it is not recommended to mount the root of the c drive).

You can also run the above code inside DOSBox launched with the default config file, and you'll get the same result.

However, it may turn out that DOSBox doesn't support some feature required to run SMART. In that case you're out of luck. If nework access is required, it will also be problematic.

The easiest solution may be to simply wipe Win7 and install MSDOS on your new machine 😀.

Reply 2 of 9, by Advercy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've skimmed through the readme and i've read the wiki. I've done the mount to the sw file, and i can get it to open the basic SMART program. However when i type in the rest of the command (the "d -y -ps -fnet_3P1 -r32 -sc:\smrt310" part) it does nothing (like, literally i hit enter and it just goes back to the C:\> or C:\ and doesn't execute anything.) whereas when i omit the "d -y -ps -fnet_3P1 -r32 -sc:\smrt310" and simply do "c:\SMRT310\SMART1st.EXE" it opens the basic SMART file without follow the projects.

Reply 4 of 9, by Advercy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm.. Now when i add the "d -y -ps -fnet_3P1 -r32 -sc:\smrt310" it opens SMART but says "Invalid application data path" then "project file not found" perhaps my problem is windows 7 acknowledging the paths, not DOSbox. I suppose that makes more sense.
Thanks!

Reply 7 of 9, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Booting in MS-DOS inside DOSBox may help.

You'll need to install MS-DOS on a disk image (there are tutorials floating around), then copy SMART on the image too (for example, you can launch DOSBox normally mount the SMART folder as C, imgmount the image as D: and copy from there).

Reply 8 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't think you will have fun with smart in Dosbox. You don't have the ability to print or mail the addresses via dosbox.
You are better off manually entering the data in a newer database...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Advercy wrote:

whereas when i omit the "d -y -ps -fnet_3P1 -r32 -sc:\smrt310" and simply do "c:\SMRT310\SMART1st.EXE" it opens the basic SMART file without follow the projects.

While this program may be different, generally DOS programs are not meant to be run from outside their own directories.

The proper way would be to change the directory first, as in

cd smrt310
smart1st.exe